..... Range Officer duty starting soon ................

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:ttups: :ttups:

Head Range Officer called me today and asked me to reconsider quitting working at the muzzleloader range this year. He's really strapped for R/O"S  so I told him to send me a schedule and I would check on some dates. I found 7 days that seemed to be waiting for me. So this year I'll be working the range for shooters with guns or replicas that were made prior to 1893.    It's been fun the last few years and I hope this season will be the same.
Anyone living close to Bristol, WI. shoot me a PM and maybe we could get together and make some smoke.

Ray................... :Red tup:

Sounds like a great time Ray!

What kind of things will you be doing?

:thumbs up:

Jonathan,

On the day you work, the R/O will open the gate to the wilderness area and then open the log cabin office. Count the bank to make sure the money is in order. When that's done he''ll paint the steel plates yellow and remove any paper targets that weren't removed for the 25, 50 100 and 130 yard ranges. As shooters show up they have to log in and pay the fees. The R/O stops all shooting so targets can be put up by new shooters. When all the shooting stops, the R/O will instruct shooters to fire off their hot ones, rounds still in the chamber, and place all rifles along the benches with the actions open. That's mostly for those old rifles with the paper cartridges. (Sharps, dragoons and all those civil war type rifles). When all is clear the R/O will instruct the shooters to go to their targets. When everyone appears to be back, the R/O will walk the firing line of the ranges and make sure all shooters are back and then he'll open the range. This goes on all day long until closing.
THERE IS NO HANDLING OF FIREARMS FOR ANY REASON DURING A BREAK.

Ray.............

Jonathan,

Nothing to it. Once in a while some idiot shows up and doesn't want to abide by the rules. That's when I walk him back to his car and get him on his way.

Ray.......... ;)

Ray..nice to see you back in action now that your settled in at the new house...

Thanks buddy. Everything, 90% anyway, is back to normal. The wife is still having trouble with the raccoon's  on the deck but this village is a game sanctuary. Can't harm any of the critters here. By the way, it's OK with me  ;)

Ray............. :thumbs up:

Our range has no RO. We police it ourselves and it works out fine. No gate at all. We can shoot anytime we want.

hawgslayer said:
Thanks buddy. Everything, 90% anyway, is back to normal. The wife is still having trouble with the raccoon's  on the deck but this village is a game sanctuary. Can't harm any of the critters here. By the way, it's OK with me  ;)

Ray............. :thumbs up:
Trap and move? Live trap, I mean...

Great to hear hawg' that things are starting to settle down for you.  ;)

Overseeing pre-1893 replicas in action sounds like a lot of fun to me! :Red tup:

Marty,

Those old rifles and pistols are a gas. For every 10 replica's that show up there's always 1 or 2 authentic black powder weapons. Rolling blocks, paper cartridges, dragons, sharps and sometime a civil war rifle. AWESOME. I just sit and watch until the shooter is taking a break then I ask the questions.

Ray..............

Latest posts

Back