Range time with CVA Accura LR/Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got to do some shooting over the last month or so. Some of you guys had said to try the Blackhorn 209 instead of the Triple 7 or Pyrodex pellets I had been using. Did a bit of research on this site and several members seemed to like the combination of BH209 powder,Barnes TMZ 290 grain sabot and a Federal 209A primer.
Started with 115 grains of powder at 100 yards, 3 shot groups were about 4 inches or so. Dropped down to 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the group improved quite a bit. I shot 6 times and all holes were within a couple inches or so. All 6 shots were about 2" high at 100 yards. I am pretty satisfied at this point with my shooting and gun/load setup. I am planing on moving father back to 150-175 yards or so to see if the pattern holds up.
A few things I learned while doing a bit of range shooting was that I needed a funnel for pouring the powder into the measuring tubes. It was like trying to fit a square block into a round hole without one. I have since ordered a couple and already used them to make such things much easier. I did run a clean patch through the barrel after each shot. I know most said it was not required with BH 209 but did anyway while sighting in. I shot a total of 9 times this last range session and the breach plug was always easy to unscrew and never once did I lube it the entire range session. Once I got home to clean everything, it was so easy compared to the old Triple 7 or Pyrodex that I had been used to.
I had originally bought 2 jugs of Blackhorn 209 thinking that this powder would go fast, but after 3 range sessions with anywhere from 6 to 9 shots fired, I am still on the 1st jug with quite a bit left in it. So if you shoot a lot, I think Blackhorn 209 is the way to go and like I said earlier, the clean up afterward is a breeze.
Thanks for everyones tips
G Money

Congrats on the success and thanks for sharing.

FYI. Accuracy may improve without swabbing between shots. There is really no reason to do so. The sabots may like the grip.

Do check for a first shot flyer on your next session. You be surprised at a different POI on a clean barrel.

The modern CVA breech plug works very well. My last range session with my Acura MR I put 20 shots down range without touching the breech plug. I was able to remove it at the end without any extra effort.

LarryBud said:

FYI. Accuracy may improve without swabbing between shots. There is really no reason to do so. The sabots may like the grip.

Do check for a first shot flyer on your next session. You be surprised at a different POI on a clean barrel.

Hmmm...So, if a first shot flyer is to be expected, do you guys just expect your hunting shot to be a bit off or do you hunt with a less than clean barrel?

Just seems that hunting all season with a dirty barrel would lead to corrosion or rust. Surely you all are not hunting with a barrel that has not be cleaned somewhat after shooting it.

Thanks
G Money

G Money said:
LarryBud said:

Hmmm...So, if a first shot flyer is to be expected, do you guys just expect your hunting shot to be a bit off or do you hunt with a less than clean barrel?

Just seems that hunting all season with a dirty barrel would lead to corrosion or rust. Surely you all are not hunting with a barrel that has not be cleaned somewhat after shooting it.

Thanks
G Money

There are two paths to take with regards to hunting and barrels.

If you want to sight in with a fouled barrel, then you either need to leave your barrel fouled, foul before loading by popping a few caps or use some method of artificially fouling (some threads mention using powdered graphite) your barrel.

If you want to sight in with a clean barrel, then you need to clean your barrel judiciously between shots when sighting in.

G Money said:
LarryBud said:

Thanks
G Money

Not all guns have a first shot flyer or it may be within your comfort level. Mine do and it probably has something to do with my cleaning protocol.

You should check yours, that's all I'm saying. I'm pretty sure it cost me a dandy Whitetail a few years back.

Now days, I do hunt with a dirty barrel. I hunt 3-5 days in a row and don't worry about corrosion over that time with BH209. If I were to hunt intermittently over a long season, I'd figure something else out. ( Seacrh Lockease )

I've discovered that popping 3 primers before shooting helps a lot with first shot fliers.
I dry patch a couple of patches, fire the primers and my 1st shot lands in the group.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back