realistic shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I decided to have a little fun and still get some serious practice in, so I took my $39.95 CVA Mountain Stalker cap lock that my friends enjoy kidding me so much about out for a turn on the range. This .54 caliber is a real roundball shooter most of the time. So I loaded it with 90 grains of Goex 2f a wonderwad and a moosemilk patched roundball (I also shot a couple powerbelts 405 grain copper coated hollow points just for fun).

Then I climbed my tree stand and took up my shooting sticks and rifle and all the gear. I just sat up there blasting away, having a great time. This is a great way to get into the swing of hunting. It is all too easy to sit at the bench rest and knock holes in paper. This added a little excitment.

I put this cardboard box out at the same place where I have shot deer over the past several years. I think I might be ready. That sitting up in a tree judging the wind and all adds a real new aspect to shooting. I like to do this a couple times a year. It really makes me think about my shots.

CVAStalker.jpg

I don,t use shooting 'stix', since I found the 'Rebel Rope Trick".......this only works if you have trees!

Southern Snipers used this in the Civil War!

Splice a loop in one end. [1/4" manila, 3 strand] Burn off the fuzz with a torch.

Loop and tie in over head, then at shooting level start tying in knots. I use the width of my hand for a gage.

You can sit, stand, twist or lean around the tree and shoot.

You can rest the stock on top of your fist or pinch the barrel, if using a scope.

I can send you a copy of the article if interested.......

Why dont you put a link to the article on the shooting technique forum, I would appreciate it and I am sure others would too. Thanks,
Rifleman

Rifleman said:
Why dont you put a link to the article on the shooting technique forum, I would appreciate it and I am sure others would too. Thanks,
Rifleman

If I could link you to a book in my case, I would. It is from "The Original Tree Stand Handbook" By Richard C. McGree Jr.

Not sure about posting copyrighted material on the net.

A few years back I did use a rope rest in one of my tree stands. It had railings so I stretched a rope between the two railings and it actually made a good bench rest. By just adjusting the tension with your foot on the bottom rope you could raise and lower the level of the rope rest.

I understand the concept of the shooting rope but never used one. I guess although we have plenty of trees here, they just are not as handy as shooting sticks unless as you said, you were in a stand. I also use the shooting sticks as a kind of walking stick.

I just read this post and although I had not read the article(I'd like to also) I thought about the same thing this morning :idea: in my stand bowhunting while watching a nice buck about 140 yds. out- I thought if gun law was in and I had my Savage MLII on the small platform the only way to get a steady hold would be a rope from the tree (Before season opens next week!) I may give it a try-BTW- youth weekend is in here for the pre 16 kids to hunt- I put the MLII in my boys hands this morning with an 80 acre winter wheat field in front-ideal for long shots-every deer he's saw has been under 30 yds away- most meandered right under the stand-and he missed a buck at 15 yds!- Oh well- Buck fever -I guess :lol:

I've know lots of people that missed a buck at 15 yards.. and their youth was not the excuse... Better luck to him on the next try. Our deer season so far has been dry to nothing.. I sat yesterday and this morning until I froze out.. Never saw a thing except some squirrels and bluejays. Normally the woods are full of deer. I suspect the wolves and bears in the area have moved them to better places..

Latest posts

Back