Redclub, elk trip?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Redclub,

Where ya headed for ML. I am going to Southwest CO, be hunting the Pagosa Springs/Wolf Creek pass area.

Elk
We are going to the flattops above Glenwood Springs I hunted there with a rifle numerous times .We usually take my horses and go into the wilderness but the horses and I are getting a little too old for that. So we will be going a couple of miles away and going in with ATV's.
I hunted where you are going a couple of years ago unit 76 What a beautiful area. So far in Co. I hunted in units 34,24,61,62 and 76 and I shot a bull in every one, all with a rifle though. This is a first with a ML.
Always did it on our own no guides all public land.
This year we will have 4 of us 2 with bull tags 1 with a cow tag and one with a archery tag(he goofed up his ml application). We will stay in a wall tent. This is my nineteenth year up there.
Redclub

Unit 76 is great, but it takes so many years to draw in now its sickening. I have never hunted it myself.

We've got 5 guys going. With 4 cow tags and 1 bull tag. We do it ourselves also, and hunt public. MUCH cheaper that way as you know. Thats probably why you have been 19 years. I have been going since I was 15, this makes year 12 for me, but I missed 2 years in there when I moved and when my daughter was born.

This is my first time with an ML also! I have always hunted rifle and decided I wanted to hunt the rut, so I put in.

Hope your buddy was already an archery hunter and didn't pick it up just for this hunt! That would suck to fill out your app wrong. I guess thiers no way to get refund on that one huh? Archery tags are all either sex?? If thats the case he paid the big bucks for it.

He was an archer before so he knows a little about it ,never hunted elk though. The tag is about $480 I believe it actually came down a little this year. This is a very cheap hunt only thing is gas prices. On top of the mountain you can't spend much.
I will blow the horn when we go through Omaha :lol:
Redclub

When ya headed out? We plan on leaving Sept. 8th after work, and spending the night near Walsenburg, CO, then driving on in to Pagosa.

You boys got a little further to travel than us, how long does it take you to get there?

NO WE DON'T ! :twisted:

Can hardly wait to jump in my heavy chevy and hit the road

We are leaving on the 6th and staying overnite on the 7th in Eagle Co.
Going up the mountain on the 8th and setting up camp, do some scouting on the afternoonof the 8th and 9th. Might also do a little trout fishing. We camp pretty close to a couple of nice streams.
We have about 1200 miles to travel. The last 35 miles take about 6 hours by truck and then about 4 miles by Atv.
I am going looking for a new Atv probably get one today or tommorrow.
Mine has 5000 miles on it.
Redclub

Well, we won't be roughing it out of a camp like you guys. My grandparents own a condo in Pagosa Springs, so we will be hunting out of that. BUT if I find good elk sign and think it advantageous, I sure as heck plan on spending the night on the mountain if I need to.

Well all packed and ready to leave tommorrow (tuesday) for the ML season in Co. Never hunted Elk with a ML but even at my age I am quite excited.
Redclub

Good luck have a great trip and be safe. Ill be heading out there in about a month and a half.

Latest posts

Back