( Reloading ) Primers affect

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Following load data, suppose the listed info lists the primer as a Winchester Large Rifle, what would happen ( pressure and accuracy) if you were to substitute a different brand or size? Im loading Winchester .270.

You can do a different brand, just stick with the same size. i.e. Large rifle primer from CCI, Federal, or Winchester. Large rifle magnum will spike pressures, while large pistol may not be enough.

PowderKeg

Reloading recipes are developed for the particular brand of primer, and you can increase pressure by more than you might expect by changing from one brand to another. I mostly use Winchester rifle primers, and for me they are "middle" for pressure.

Too be safe you should drop your load and then try the new primer.

Accuracy can go either way.

Often you can find load data for your new primer. What powder, bullet and primer are you wanting to shoot? There is a lot of .270 Win data available.

jim

130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hodgdon H4831 or H4350 and undecided on primers. I currently have H4831, but was considering H4350. The reason for the question was that I had read on another site a fellow was using CCI mag rifle primers and experiencing better accuracy than with the Win LR.

I agree with HunterJim, when changing a component you should reduce then work back up to the predetermined charge if your were close to peak pressures or max loads in the past. Starting from scratch it doesn't matter, as you should be working up anyway.

MQ32, it certainly is possible for a primer switch to yield better results with everything else remaining the same. If loading a LR primer I start with WLR's. I have found in some cases the Fed 210GMM's produce better results, like in my 270/150NP load. When dealing with a magnum primers I use 215GMM's. These are the three primers I keep on hand and haven't had any problems finding loads with them. Trail and error is the only way, as what works for me may not work for you.

Hodgdon data shows almost the same velocity for the 130 gr loads with H4831 and H4350, but slightly higher pressure with H4350. With that data I would stay with the H4831, which has shot well for me in the 6.5-'06.

I would expect the magnum primers to raise pressure over the standard large rifle. For me the Federal 210 primer is hotter, and Nosler shows that primer used in its #5 manual with H4831 SC, which was their most accurate powder tested. They show a max load of 59.0 gr.

jim

Skhunter and hunterjim, are the Federal 210 and 210GMM the same thing? If so, I think I will start looking for some to load based on the information you fellas have shared. Thanks. About the H4831 and the SC, would you guys purchase the SC, all things being the same?

MQ32shooter said:
Following load data, suppose the listed info lists the primer as a Winchester Large Rifle, what would happen ( pressure and accuracy) if you were to substitute a different brand or size? Im loading Winchester .270.

There really is no way to predict the results of any component substitution. Pressure/velocity could go up, down, or stay the same. Same for accuracy...it could improve, stay the same, or get worse.

Brass, primers, bullets, and powder all can vary from lot and even more so from brand to brand. No two rifles are the same either, even the same model/caliber. This is why the most successful reloaders use the rule to start with loads about 10% less than the listed maximum load. This is MOSTLY to allow for variances in components and in rifles. But this is also prudent in developing the most accurate load for your rifle. If you will focus on ACCURACY being the primary purpose and goal of reloading instead of VELOCITY you'll be much more successful and the envy of your shooting buddies! A velocity difference of 100-150fps means little to nothing with a 130gr .277cal bullet...

The .270 Winchester is an EASY cartridge to reload for. If you have H4831 all ready, IMO it will be hard to beat, stick with it. CCI 200 or W-W WLR are the primers you need and are the ones to use. Any large rifle primer will have no problem lighting off 60gr of powder.

About the H4831 and the SC, would you guys purchase the SC, all things being the same?

Yep..it meters better in the powder measure...

are the Federal 210 and 210GMM the same thing?

Yes both are large rifle primers though the GMM stands for Gold Medal Match primers ( premium brand). The reason I use the GMM's is because it works, so why change???

If you have WLR's already try them with the 130NBT first. It has been a great primer for me and as mentioned still the one I reach for first when developing a load using a Large Rifle primer. Of course not saying the 210's won't be good as well.

Federals are considered warmer then the winchester counterparts. Can be good or bad but unfortunately the only way to find out is trial.

I can get 60.0 grains of H-4831SC ( short cut) with-out tapping into a 270 Win case. The short cut due to the shorter length grain also meters easier thru a powder dropper.

I do not use magnum primers in the 270, I have read in some instances that velocity actually dropped VS. the standard large rifle primers.

I went to the Hornady 130 grain inter- bond bullet bullet to assure the bullet would not break up on close in shots of less than 75 yards.

My load of 59.5 grains of H-4831SC shoots 1 7/8 " at 300 yards. :D

Choc-dog

Latest posts

Back