Remington 700 SPS 7MM-08 in black and SS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just ordered one. I'm pretty excited to get rid of the T/C ProHunter. A couple of my friends suggested the 7MM-08 caliber. So thats what i ordered. It should take care of any game i would use it on. :) Anybody else own a 7MM-08? How have you liked it?

Grouse
I have a Rem. mountain rifle in 7mm-08 cal. It is topped with a Leo VX111
in 1 3/4 x 6. This is an awesome deer rifle.
Redclub

I just missed bidding on a left-handed NULA in 7mm-08 and would have bought it if I could. I hear nothing but good things about its performance...

I've got a sako 75 hunter, that's in a mcmillian stock, topped with a leopold III 2-8. I pat it say shoot and the thing hits dead center, ok so I'm a little windy at times. But that's a close statement it's a great shooting rifle. A great round you should really enjoy it.

Browing A-Bolt Micro Medallian 7mm-08 with a Schmidt and Bended 2.5-10X56. One of the best rifles I've ever owned.

You want me to load you some?

big6x6 said:
Browing A-Bolt Micro Medallian 7mm-08 with a Schmidt and Bended 2.5-10X56. One of the best rifles I've ever owned.

You want me to load you some?

Mine will be topped off with a Leupold VX-III.

Dont load me any ammo Chuck. Lets see how the Remington Core Loc shoot first.

I have 2 7-08s. 24" Encore and a 28" Pro Hunter. Both are dandy shooters but I don't find myself reaching for the cartridge very often.

omega said:
I have 2 7-08s. 24" Encore and a 28" Pro Hunter. Both are dandy shooters but I don't find myself reaching for the cartridge very often.

I hear ya. My kid will use this more then me. I still love using a Muzzleloader.

Grouse said:
omega said:

I hear ya. My kid will use this more then me. I still love using a Muzzleloader.
Yep, and if I want a light CF for deer I find the 25/06s hard to turn down.

7-08

Grouse,

Why are you ridding yourself of your pro Hunter?

For Pa whitetails the "sleeper" cartridge is the 260rem. With bullet weights from 120 gr. to 130 gr. what else do you need.

I am waiting to shoot my T/C 25-06 once this 4 inches of ice melts.

Yep.. 260 vs 7-08 is a tough decision.

The 260 will do everything up to whitetail and the 7mm will do alot more.

In my humble opinion the 260 is a much improved 243! I think it would be a great varmint caliber.

Yep.. 260 vs 7-08 is a tough decision.

Oh, I don't think so.

1. .260 Remington ammo only available from Remington and Federal(no Hornady or Winchester, Grouse doesn't handload)

2. Trajectory wise, the 7mm08 is a pretty good improvement over the .308 but not as much of an improvement between .260 and .284(VERY little actually).

3. I'd shoot practically anything with a 7mm08 and a 160gr Nosler Partition.

4. IF recoil were an issue(it's not) I'd think the .260 would get more consideration. I'd MUCH rather have a .260 than a .243 for a whitetail/black bear rifle. And as JJ said, the .260 would make a dandy varmint caliber too.

Re: 7-08

choc-dog said:

My original Encore was stolen or lost by ups. I was sending my barrel to have some tests done on it. When this happened i sold my action and decided to by the new Pro-Hunter. That was a big mistake on my part. I have not liked the new Pro-Hunter at all. The Pro-Hunter is heavier and longer then my old one. The trigger is not good at all on mine. The only thing i liked about the new Pro-Hunter was the recoil pad. :)

Re: 7-08

Grouse said:
choc-dog said:

The only thing i liked about the new Pro-Hunter was the recoil pad. :)

:? HMMMM, that doesn't say much for the rifle.

7mm 08 is a great cartridge/easy to shoot. Been awhile since I shot a 260 rem but I can't recall that much difference between the 2, when shooting 140gr bullets.

Good choice on the rifle I love the 700 action personally and the SPS seems like a great rig. I wish they offered it in a southpaw version.

One of the best varmit/deer cartridge is the 2506 IMHO. Good performer, easy to load for and pleasurable to shoot. I regret the day I sold mine :roll:!

SKhunter said:
One of the best varmit/deer cartridge is the 2506 IMHO. Good performer, easy to load for and pleasurable to shoot. I regret the day I sold mine :roll:!
I bet I recommend the 25/06 a dozen times a week to people emailing or calling ask for the perfect combination caliber for deer and varmints.
Never had anyone say they were disappointed.

Excellent choice. Shoots a variety of powders well with 120 and 140 Nosler BT's. Will push the 140 with H-414 and RL 19 to velocities that don't seem possible with a casing of that size. Extremely accurate with minimal recoil.

Back