Remington STS 209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Tribe

Reaction score
Hoping this is the right spot to post this but I am wondering the differenece between the Remington "STS" 209 primers vs the other brand 209s. Namely the Remington 209 "Kleanbore" which I heard is meant more for muzzeloaders with 209 ignitions.

I ordered some Remington STS 209s as it was all that was in stock when I was trying to reach a $99 limit for free hazmat. I hear the STS are mainly for reloading shotgun shells but also work well with BH209 setups, and the kleanbore is better for T7 powder setup ML guns.

Is that correct or should they work fine and no problem either way?

Any info with someone who's tried them would be greatly appreciated!

I have been looking for Remington STS primers for a couple of years now. When I have them, I use them in my Omega shooting BH209 as they are powerful enough to ignite BH209 but not as dirty as some other primers like CCIs or Federals. I get less of a crud build-up in the breech plug with them.

STS are different from Kleanbore or Hodgdon 777 primers, which are more for the Pyrodex/777 powders.

I have been looking for Remington STS primers for a couple of years now. When I have them, I use them in my Omega shooting BH209 as they are powerful enough to ignite BH209 but not as dirty as some other primers like CCIs or Federals. I get less of a crud build-up in the breech plug with them.

STS are different from Kleanbore or Hodgdon 777 primers, which are more for the Pyrodex/777 powders.
Well, that sounds good. Is there any truth to them being harder to ignite than other 209s? I had read that somewhere.

They were expensive but it brought me to my 99$ limit for free hazmat at least haha. (I originally was grabbing their last 2 tins of Remington #10 percussion caps they somehow had in stock and had to add something else to the cart)

They still have more STS in stock and free hazmat btw, at Natchez

I still need to grab some BH209 powder for myself. I am more into traditional muzzleloaders and frequent that forum mostly but slowly learning about the modern stuff.

Appreciate the info

STS primers are full strength and I use them for BH 209 powder. Never failed to ignite.

Kleenbore are reduced strength and won’t reliably work with BH 209

You did good
Thanks man. This is great news to hear

Appreciate the information everyone, I got lucky and found a couple tins of Remington #10 percussion caps at Natchez DURING a hazmat sale.
Not sure how!

But in order to get the deal I needed to add something and I knew in the future I'll need some 209 primers or musket caps, but the Rem STS was really all they had in stock

Now just to find somewhere with BH209 and maybe even some Trail Boss or Clays smokeless powder

Latest posts

Back