Rice ordered

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called Jason this morning and put a deposit on a 32" .45 cal 1:18 twist drop in barrel for my Hawken stock/lock.
I'll be picking it up next week on my way through NC. I've heard good things about these barrels so I can't wait to send some lead downrange.
I didnt see the 1:18@ listed on their drop-in page. Is it just something you have to call them for? Although will be perfectly happy with the 1:20”, is there an up-charge for the 1:18”?

Clem great deal on your find!! What is the benefit of a 1-18 vs 1-20" twist regarding what weight bullets you can shoot? When I talked to Idaholewis about getting a 45cal Green Mt bbl, he told me they were hard to find but highly recommended. For kicks, I decided to go online to look for one, and low and behold there was a brand new NIB for $200. Naturally, like you, I jumped on it.

Clem great deal on your find!! What is the benefit of a 1-18 vs 1-20" twist regarding what weight bullets you can shoot? When I talked to Idaholewis about getting a 45cal Green Mt bbl, he told me they were hard to find but highly recommended. For kicks, I decided to go online to look for one, and low and behold there was a brand new NIB for $200. Naturally, like you, I jumped on it.
Ed the GM LRH .45s are a 1:30 twist. I had one and it shot 200 gr Hornady XTPs in a blue CR sabot excellently.

Oh yeah IdahoRon's like above made me recall that it also shot the .443" paper patched bullets he put me on to really good also. I shot a doe a couple years ago with that bullet and it dropped her in her tracks - slide all the way down the mountain side to within 15 yards of me!

Jason mentioned that he only does the .45 in 18 twist now. I dont know if this is for all of them or just the TC prefits. I ordered a 20 twist originally and before it shipped Jason called to tell me that. In my setup it seems the heavier the bullet the better it shoots. Up till last weekend the BACO 460s shot the best for me, but I borrowed a 535 Grain NOE mold from a friend and it was amazing in the accuracy.

i thought i was getting 20 twist, but when is came the other day it was 18 too... 20 is all thats listed on the site (for drop in 45 cal tc hawken)... though,, thats why i thought i was getting a 20,,, 18 will be just fine,,, sent it for blueing today,,, paper patched some of baco' s .444 500 grain swaged paper patched bullets to try when it gets back... (another month)... maybe some good dry weather by then..

Hot dang, that's more than my T/C Hawken cost for complete rifle
one of those things you have to "want". though. custom barrels for any rifle cost as much.. This is actually an excellent price for a match barrel with breech plug, sights and under rib & ram rod tubes & all on it. I used to build custom rifles & i could not have bought a match barrel & (which cost $300 from most vendors) & done all the work to make it into a "drop" in for that price.. If i were younger,, this may have been a fun project. but bad knees, & back make lathe & mill work a real chore... hence,,, some of my tax refund bought the barrel!!! I think i will be even more happy when i shoot it!

Back