Rice ordered

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah IdahoRon's like above made me recall that it also shot the .443" paper patched bullets he put me on to really good also. I shot a doe a couple years ago with that bullet and it dropped her in her tracks - slide all the way down the mountain side to within 15 yards of me!

That's funny stuff🤣🤣

Ignorance is bliss, so just what is a match grade barrel ? CNC ? C -Line bored with .0003 variance ? then octagon milled ?
match barrels usually refers to the finish on the inside of the the barrel.. ie match barrels are lapped to a much finer finiish than a regular barrel. There is more time spent on them.. a number of the barrel makers only produce match barrels.. (Like Hart for instanc)

Hot dang, that's more than my T/C Hawken cost for complete rifle
I don't doubt it Smokepole but the difference in accuracy using big lead is definitely worth the extra cost. Its like night and day. GM barrels are nothing to sneeze at either but for the price people are asking I may as well go a step better.

That's funny stuff🤣🤣
It really was Ron. My cousin was right beside me watching me shoot her. She was about 75 yards away behind a tree looking down at us with the front half of her body out from behind it. The angle uphill was so steep that I couldn't shoot from kneeling so I just shot offhand. That hunk of lead caught her right behind the front leg and she dropped right down, slid around the tree and all the way down the hill side. My cousin just looked at me and laughed saying "you're the luckiest guy I know . Not only do you shoot a deer but they even come to you AFTER you shoot them"

Clem great deal on your find!! What is the benefit of a 1-18 vs 1-20" twist regarding what weight bullets you can shoot? When I talked to Idaholewis about getting a 45cal Green Mt bbl, he told me they were hard to find but highly recommended. For kicks, I decided to go online to look for one, and low and behold there was a brand new NIB for $200. Naturally, like you, I jumped on it.
an 18 will stabilize a little bit heavier bullet,,, When i shot competitive centerfire and rimfire benchrest (this is group shooting and score shooting) the common theory was the slowest twist that will stabilize a given bullet is what will be most accurate hence for example most 6mm shooters shot 62-68 grain bullets and used 13.5 or 14 twist barrels..(this is 100, 200, 300 yd games). faster twists and heavier bullets were used when shooting 600 - 1000 yds. David Tubb shot 115 grain 6mm bullets to win the wimbleton cup several times (with 7 twist barrel).. matching your bullet & barrel are key..

I think the 18 twist should stabilize a bullet well over 600 grains.. which looks like a spear compared to most bullets!! it is really the bullet length that makes the difference not the weight.. but weight is much more discussed than bullet length... most people have no idea how long their bullet is.. but everybody knows the weight (grains of bullet)..

Back