RIP Hershel House

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get a copy of Foxfire vol 5 and read about him in his early years.. Or go to American Pioneer video and get the DVD's they
have showing a true artist making a longrifle and then a Hawken.( they also have DVD's of him blacksmithing )

Herschle was a true artist and talented craftsman! He and his brothers Frank and John have created the first new 'school of gunbuilding'
called the Woodbury School.

Last edited:
I used to teach high school Metalworking classes, they curriculum included forging. I struggled to find supplemental education videos for my classes before the Internet became what it is today. I happened upon and bought a video featuring Herschel doing basic forging with heat treating. My students learned from watching the video but made fun of him and his accent. Then one day I happened a published article on all of his accomplishments in the building of primitive arms. I displayed the article in my classroom for years. I really appreciated his help in making my students and myself better blacksmiths. RIP Herschel House

I get it, if muzzloading to you is just extra days in the woods Hershel is not a known name
I am into the history, folklore, and old world craftsmanship and feel privileged to have watched this legend at work

Latest posts

Back