sabot loads for younger shooter introduction?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
My son is getting into shooting and hoping to take a deer in the fall after he was skunked this past fall. This weekend I had him out shooting my 700ml 45. We were shooting 35gr of N110 behind a 200gr XTP in a light blue crush sabot. He only shot it 3 times he said the recoil wasn't bad. He is on the smaller size and the last thing I want to do is put him behind a load that might make him recoil shy. I also have Fury 225 and 250 star tips to experiment with this spring/summer. The other powders I have on hand are n120 and 4198. TIA.

I dont know anything about smls but I do know this. It doesnt take a pile of powder to kill a deer. It does take a well placed shot. I think a 44 magnum will take 25 grains of 110 with a 240 grain bullet. So my thought is you are well beyond the power of a 44 magnum which I think is a fine deer cartridge. I think you could even cut back the 35 grains of N110 and be a good deer killer. I may be all wet here but it seems logical.

That load is a good one. I would swap out the bullet, though. I would use the 200gr XTP to practice, sighting in, and for him to get comfortable with. With the XTP, if you push it to fast it will fragment. I like to have a exit hole. I like the premium bullets, A-frame, Barnes and such. I shoot a resized lightly knurled Barnes 41mag 180gr in a HLBS with a Maine wool wad(may not need depending on how many grains of powder) with N110 (28 - 36gr). It's accurate, low recoil, and deadly. I want to try the Fury 41 210gr since the Barnes are getting hard to find.
Another possible good load is everything the same except use the Barnes 10mm 155gr TAC-XP. I have shot it, is accurate and low recoil. I have never shot a deer with it, though.

I shoot mostly light loads myself. The 10mm/.40 XTP 200 gr is fine at lower velocity or some yardage between shooter n tick toter. If tick toter is close say 30 yards n under it will make lung soup ! I use Bluedot 17-20 gr, 4759 30-38 gr, VV110 30-37 gr. Those powders burn fast n work well with 180-250 gr bullets.

Back