Sabot options?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MMP Short Black Length is: 3/4" and the MMP Long Black that comes packed with the 300 Grain Barnes Expanders is 15/16". The ones coming with the Barnes are a stepped style base and the MMP shorts are the cupped style.

Loggy said:
The ones coming with the Barnes are a stepped style base

Those are HPH 12 MMP's. The HPH 24's are the same length, but smaller assembled O.D. .

Randy,

Do you know if the Barnes 300 Grain Expanders are available without sabots? Thought maybe could save a few bucks by buying that way then order sabot direct from MMP. I'm sure that nice hinged plastic foam stuffed Barnes Box adds some.

Loggy said:
Randy,

Do you know if the Barnes 300 Grain Expanders are available without sabots?

No, they aren't. :cry:

The Barnes XPB pistol bullets are the same bullet as their muzzleloading bullets, but there is a cannelure added that can be a problem-- less bearing surface, lower BC.

Loggy said:
The MMP Short Black Length is: 3/4" and the MMP Long Black that comes packed with the 300 Grain Barnes Expanders is 15/16". The ones coming with the Barnes are a stepped style base and the MMP shorts are the cupped style.
The ones that fly really well for me are 7/8 inch long and the petals are thicker,but so is the base it is .503 inch wide, they are tc shockwaves 250 and 300gr. But now they seem to have changed sabots to the ones that come with the sst`s, they are .977 inch long the petals are thinner, and the base is smaller too .500 inch width, and they both have the ribbed cup. So I have to trim length to get smaller groups with them, just trying to avoid some extra work not a big deal if you are shooting deer at 100 yards. Elmer

elmerdeer said:
Loggy said:
The ones that fly really well for me are 7/8 inch long and the petals are thicker,but so is the base it is .503 inch wide, they are tc shockwaves 250 and 300gr. But now they seem to have changed sabots to the ones that come with the sst`s, they are .977 inch long the petals are thinner, and the base is smaller too .500 inch width, and they both have the ribbed cup. So I have to trim length to get smaller groups with them, just trying to avoid some extra work not a big deal if you are shooting deer at 100 yards. Elmer

Just wanted to see if I could post--sorry for jumping in

RandyWakeman said:
Loggy said:
Randy,

Do you know if the Barnes 300 Grain Expanders are available without sabots?

No, they aren't. :cry:

The Barnes XPB pistol bullets are the same bullet as their muzzleloading bullets, but there is a cannelure added that can be a problem-- less bearing surface, lower BC.

Thanks Randy. Always lookin to save a few $. I sure look fwd to trying one on a whitetail this Fall.

RandyWakeman,

Well again you are right - I was out today shooting a sidehammer and ran out of Nosler sabots - opened a new package - MMP's no doubt in my mind.

Latest posts

Back