Do sabots need lubricanting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alittlefishy

Reaction score
Mine do. Just signed up and did search for Sabot lubrication. I have difficulty seating my .50 x .44 cal. sabots. I’m using 240g XTP bullets. before I went opening day hunting I thought about armor all. I sprayed my sabots with armor all and wiped them down. when I got to stand and loaded up. it’s never been easier in previous times to ram sabot and bullet home. I killed the 8pt pictured below at 130 yds so accuracy wasn’t affected. I’m opening a can of worms I know. Everyone has their opinion

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpeg
    IMG_0826.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Using the right size sabot and they will load easier..like said above..the green crush rib sabot will probably load much easier and you don’t have to use any type of lubricant that could cause issues with your powder or create more fouling. But it really comes down to whatever works best for you. Nice job on the harvest

That's very interesting, thanks for posting. When I was younger, my motorcycle got a regular treatment of Amor All, it did lead to cracking on the sidewalls of the tires. I doubt it will affect your sabots unless you don't shoot them much. How was cleanup? What powder was used?

You need to be careful with those sabots. Being plastic and a petroleum product, other petroleum based products could potentially soften them and make them ineffective to some degree.If you have hard loading issues, the answer is a different sabot.

As others have suggested, if you need to lube your sabots with some petroleum-based product or wax or whatever, you are likely using a sabot that is too tight. Between Harvester, MMP and those sabots made for specific brand MLs, they all have somewhat different diameters. You would be better served finding a looser fitting sabot rather than using a lube that may degrade the plastic of your sabot. Harvester Crush Rib sabots or MMP HPH24 sabots are for tight barrels.

Also, and apologies if this is obvious to you, make sure you are using a sabot that is specific to your ML's caliber. Meaning, using a .54 caliber sabot for a .50 caliber ML, or a .50 caliber sabot for a .45 caliber ML, is not going to work.

Last edited:
Thank you for your information I do have the right size sabot and when I put the lube on it I only put it on one or two sabots at a time I don’t treat the whole package and I’m generally going to shoot the one or the two treated sabots pretty quick. It hasn’t damaged the plastic yet and ill be on the lookout. Thanks again

Back