sabot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just got some barnes 250 grain tez to try in my knight 50 cal mountaineer. is the harvester black crush rib the equivelant of the mmp hph 24? its my understanding that thats the sabot shipped with the tez also if i then wanted a tighter fit would i use the non crush rib in black. just wondering what the next size up would be with that bullet thanks

HPH-24 is very similar to a Harvester EZ-Load (300gr or larger bullet) sabot. Not the Harvester smooth short but only because its shorter. The loaded OD is almost the same for all three sabots.

thanks is that barnes 250 a 452 i was thinking it was 451. that 503 might not go down so the crush rib might work good . i have it apart right now waiting on a new stock from boyds. then i can see how these load

so are you saying that the barnes 250 grain would not work with the harvester crush rib?
Im saying the closest sabot is the "Harvester Black Smooth Long" sabot. Crushrib will feel like it loads a tad easier than their normal EZ-Load sabot or HPH-24.

HPH-12 will be the next tightest (larger loaded OD)

Barnes 250 gr T-EZ which took a nice buck using 2 pellets of T7. Recovered bullet weighed 246 gr.

1BLNaacl.jpg

Im saying the closest sabot is the "Harvester Black Smooth Long" sabot. Crushrib will feel like it loads a tad easier than their normal EZ-Load sabot or HPH-24.

HPH-12 will be the next tightest (larger loaded OD)
If the op has a oversized bore the red crush rib would be the way to go plus he would have the benefit of a tougher sabot.

I shoot the Harvester black CR with the 290 TEZ out of my Rem 700ml. Its snug but not overly tight and it shoots them well.
My 45 Knight Mountaineer has an extremely tight bore. Even a .4505" conical is a pretty tight fit.
You might want to slug your bore.
IMO I don't think you need a really tight bullet/sabot combo to get good accuracy. You want it to load with a firm push without having to lean on it with a lot of pressure. With a snug fit the skirt will seal the gasses properly.

Back