sabots and round balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe

Reaction score
Years ago we had buttler creek poly patches for round balls, they were real tack drivers in the T/C hawken I used, seal of the bore was outstanding but to keep the ball in place I used a .500 ball and let the patch squeeze around it. But shoot ... it did! I came across a .451 ball mold and wondered how it would do, I use .451 bullets in my 50 cal with sabots and have very good results, so it should grab the ball as well. The twist is 1:48 a bit fast but with the better seal of the sabot it may well work like the old poly but not have to worry about the ball slipping out of the cup.
Groups were outstanding with the old poly and accuracy only started to fall off after the 5th shot, otherwise they were constantly 5 then clean and 5 all in 2 inch group at 100 yds. bench rest.
Might be worth a test for the fun of it.

Having shared the Butler Creek product experience, I would enjoy seeing results of such a test. Might need a thin patch on the ball if it doesn't take the rifling correctly, and possibly adjust powder charge to stabilize with quick twist grooves.
Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back