Sabots in smokeless muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ambushunter

Reaction score
Will be finishing my 45cal 1-16 twist on a Remington 700 action very soon. Will be needing to put a load together for elk and can't use smokeless powder. Planning on using BH209 (if I can find some) with lack of time, I was thinking on shooting a sabot. Any suggestions on a salbot/bullet combo?

That’s a tough one. IMO, there aren’t many hunting .40 bullets made that you could shoot in a sabot that would be heavy enough to make a good elk bullet.

The 195 Barnes is a great bullet but not big enough to be a good elk bullet. You might get a heavy Pittman to work with that fast twist. Maybe consider a 240 Cutting Edge Maximus.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40cal-240gr-mzl-maximus-12ct
I think you might be better off tying to get a sized jacketed bullet to shoot. Something 300 gr or heavier.

I agree with ElDiablo.

I am relatively new to ML's but I would go full bore and ditch the sabot. I picked up my first Knight DISC maybe 4 years ago and went straight to full bore. I never tried a sabot and I never will. I wanted to eliminate what I feel is the weakest link right out of the gate. I know there are plenty of guy's here who are far more experienced and way more knowledgeable than I am that will disagree with me but I will stand firm with full bore sized bullets. Lot's of videos on sizing bullets and plenty of super smart guys here that will help you get started.

Try the 275 Fury your twist is going to handle it fine I have a patriot Valley 1 and 16 and it shoots great but the twist is very hard on plastic I think those shooting Blackhorn and working up a elk load could sure be done with plastic couple of other bullets I would recommend would be the 400 grain Fury and a 400 grain Northern precision I don't think the fury 400 is bonded but the northern Precision 400 could be bonded if you ask Bill the 400 grain bullets are bore Riders,,, try the light blue and that Fury 275 40 cal

Dump the sabots. Yes, it is and has always been the weakest link.

Your twist will handle the Arrowhead 350gr XLD's. They are extremely accurate and even with production rifle maximum charges of BH.
We are shooting them in matches to 1K with 120grs VOLUME of BH. Very high BC's.

Here's an exact example of 120grs VOLUME averaged to weight. Velocity is 2183fps

Gray highlight is a 100yd zero.
Notice the FPE.......
Used your 16 twist.

1691417437550.png

Nothing wrong with saboted bullets - most of us prefer them for hunting.
I agree, but for those who do little shooting and only hunt, with their hunting ranges are short.
I've been there with many thousands of rounds shot with sabots. Nothing I like better than shooting and having to wait 10 minutes for the barrel to cool before I can send another. Once one learns to shoot bullet to bore, you'll dump the sabots. Load and shoot, load and shoot regardless of how hot it is.

My advice is just try them. No better way to find out than to do it yourself. I personally almost exclusively hunt with sabots now. They are easy to load, not temperature sensitive, and shoot really good. I don't see myself shooting at a animal so many times I heat up my barrel. When sighting in you should be taking your time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back