Savage 10ML-II synthetic stocks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My feeling on the 10ML-II synthetic stock is:

• They really suck, and are an embarassment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think they are excellent as supplied.

• I believe they are adequate for the money.

• Total voters
After a few shooting sessions my scope base screws had worked loose so I had to throw out those shooting results

Sounds familiar...... :(

Unfortunately when you have a new toy, you can't help but want to mess around with it.

Grouse said:
Hey guy's, leave the Savage at home when it's 80 degrees plus. Low 70's is ok. In the 50's and 60's is great.
Are you kiddin me??? :shock: That means I can only shoot it in December in North Alabama. :roll:

snuffy said:
Grouse said:
Hey guy's, leave the Savage at home when it's 80 degrees plus. Low 70's is ok. In the 50's and 60's is great.
Are you kiddin me??? :shock: That means I can only shoot it in December in North Alabama. :roll:

Sorry man :) My Savage just doesnt like 80 degrees plus. I'm just not into packing bullets and sabots in coolers. My other Muzzleloaders dont like extreme heat to much either.

IAhunter-you might want to check out the Boyds gunstocks site -http://www.boydboys.com/ The laminated target stock with high cheekpiece - 98% inletted -(almost drop in) was $78- I bought one -really like the feel of it- :D -Getonit-

Are you kiddin me??? That means I can only shoot it in December in North Alabama.

Hey Snuffy... Maybe RAF will let you and I fly up to Saskatoon for the weekend for a little shooting? What about it RAF? :lol:

Doohan said:
Yet, if I did it all over again, I would opt for a laminated stock. That is just what I prefer!

Randy, what does plastic add to the accuracy equation? Maybe 1/4" moa average over wood?

That's a question I don't have any way to answer based on data. I'd guess somewhere about 1/2" of an inch, not just in the 10ML-II, but also on the .223 and .308 bolt actions. That would also be my guess for a two piece stock vs. a one piece stock, i. e. lever action vs. bolt action.

IAhunter said:
RW-
The action does not appear to have any wiggle, it seems solid.

I purchased the gun in April. After a few shooting sessions my scope base screws had worked loose so I had to throw out those shooting results because I don't know when the bases started to come loose. When I re-mounted the bases I used the red loc-tite. The bases should never come off now. Unfortunately this means my shooting has occurred during the warmer months of May and June. What would you classify as cooler temps? From your experience where should the temps be to get sub MOA accuracy?

My Sav10ML-2 has the black syn stock with the stainless steel barrel.

I've got friends who get good results into the 90's with SR4759 and 250 gr. XTP's. It is just that high temperatures are no good for plinking; hunting is a different matter.

If I shoot 3 shots as fast as I can, no barrel cooling time, in 80 degree weather the first two will usually through the same hole, the third an inch or or so away. Time after time.

It is the old quality vs. quantity argument. Not many people paper-punch with hunting rifles around here-- .300 WinMag shooters may confirm their guns prior to the season or a trip, but that's it. That's all the 10ML-II is: a hunting tool.

I consider 1-1/2" excellent accuracy, not much can live on the difference as they say. Companies like Knight must think 2-1/2" to be very good, otherwise they wouldn't brag about their "2-1/2 inch accuracy guarantee." :shock:

Maybe RAF will let you and I fly up to Saskatoon for the weekend for a little shooting? What about it RAF

Hey guys, here in Saskatchewan Canada(aka the great white north) it was 92 degrees F yesterday. It's only cold here in the winter!

RW Wrote: "If I shoot 3 shots as fast as I can, no barrel cooling time, in 80 degree weather the first two will usually through the same hole, the third an inch or or so away. Time after time. " .... "I consider 1-1/2" excellent accuracy, not much can live on the difference as they say."

- I would be thrilled if my gun would perform this way. I purchased it hoping to consistently get 2" or better groups, but this has not been the case. I am starting to wonder if I was just unlucky and received a lemon. I agree, 1-1/2" groups are fantastic. Unfortunately I would say only 1 in 12 of my groups have been in the 1-1/2" range. The majority have been in the 2.25" to 3" range with far too many in the 4+ and 5+ inch range when I shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Any chance I could get a "do over" from Savage? I would gladly send my current syn/SS gun in, have them send me a laminated/SS and I would gladly pay the price difference between the syn and lam stock models. I love the concept of smokeless muzzleloading. Less mess, less corrosion and less cost per shot. Currently the groups my Dad's .45 Omega is producing blows my Sav10ML-2 out of the water. :oops:

IAhunter said:
Any chance I could get a "do over" from Savage? I would gladly send my current syn/SS gun in, have them send me a laminated/SS and I would gladly pay the price difference between the syn and lam stock models.

Don't know, but we can try-- send me an e-mail + your phone number, and we will see what happens.

big6x6 said:
Are you kiddin me??? That means I can only shoot it in December in North Alabama.

Hey Snuffy... Maybe RAF will let you and I fly up to Saskatoon for the weekend for a little shooting? What about it RAF? :lol:
Count me in. :D

They should have an option to ship with BOTH stocks if desired like A&H does! That would be a nice OPTION!

I need to update this forum before I give the good folks at Savage an undeserved black eye. Last night I went through all of my range targets and summarized the results in an Excel spreadsheet. One thing quickly stood out to me: I need to do more range testing at different powder charges before I label my syn/ss 10ML-2 a "lemon". On 5/21/05 I discovered a loose scope base on my Savage. Since re-mounting the scope base my range work has primarily been with 60gr of VV-N120. I think I need to test 42-45gr of AA-5744 in one grain increments before I can make a legitimate gripe to Savage. Part of being a muzzleloader is being a part-time reloader.

38 grains 5744 + 250 gr, Barnes MZ-Expander = MPBR 183 yards. Similar with the 250 XTP.

Hey getonit, When you got the Boyds thumbhole did they have the channel for the ramrod cut in?
Redclub

Latest posts

Back