Scope Issue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
I went to the range and shot my ML-II last night with some very encouraging results and some very discouraging results.

Accuracy with AA5744, shooting 300gr xtps was amazing (well under half inch 3 shot groups at 100m), but I couldn't predictably adjust my scope. For example, when I adjusted three inches down (12 clicks), it moved down 1 inch and to the left 3 inches. This wasn't the only instance. This isn't a cheap scope either. Its a Bushnell Elite 4200 with two piece leupold bases. Could this be a function of the scope being brand new (only 12 shots). Does it need to "settle-down" with a few more shots?

Can anyone explain to me what might be happening? Maybe another outing will be needed to resolve it?

DeerNut said:
I went to the range and shot my ML-II last night with some very encouraging results and some very discouraging results.

Accuracy with AA5744, shooting 300gr xtps was amazing (well under half inch 3 shot groups at 100m), but I couldn't predictably adjust my scope. For example, when I adjusted three inches down (12 clicks), it moved down 1 inch and to the left 3 inches. This wasn't the only instance. This isn't a cheap scope either. Its a Bushnell Elite 4200 with two piece leupold bases. Could this be a function of the scope being brand new (only 12 shots). Does it need to "settle-down" with a few more shots?

Can anyone explain to me what might be happening? Maybe another outing will be needed to resolve it?

Bad scope, misaligned scope, ran out of adjustment, or canting the gun. You are shooting at about 109 yards?

Get a Zeiss or Leupold VX-III and that should solve all your problems. :wink:

Does it need to "settle-down" with a few more shots?

I surely shouldn't. MOST scopes have a little "slack" in the w/e adjustment though. The fix for that, and what I ALWAYS do regardless of scope, is to adjust PAST the adjustment I NEED and then back. Example: Lets say I'm shooting a scope with 1/4 inch clicks at 100 yds, that is each click of the w/e adjustment will move the point of impact 1/4 inch at 100 yds. Now I just shot a 3-shot group at 100 yds and that group is centered one inch high at 100 yards BUT I want my gun to shoot two inches high at 100 yds. The amount of adjustment I need is 4-clicks(1 inch) BUT I actually click the adjustment 6-clicks up and back 2 clicks down to compensate for any "slack" in the adjustments.

In YOUR case however, it sounds as if you got a defective scope and need to return it for repair/replacement.

The only problems I've had with Leupold is the cheap Vari x II's. No problems with the III's. I'd still take the Zeiss over any at this point. :wink:

This is a wild guess, but if you are adjusting for "3 inches down" and the the bullet goes "3 inches to the left"-- are you sure you are turning the right knob? :shock:

In YOUR case however, it sounds as if you got a defective scope and need to return it for repair/replacement.

Should I try it on another rifle with proven mounts?
Would it be worth trying a proven scope in the ML-II's mounts to see if that's the problem?

This is a wild guess, but if you are adjusting for "3 inches down" and the the bullet goes "3 inches to the left"-- are you sure you are turning the right knob?

Pretty sure, but anything is possible? It wasn't the only instance though.
Another example, I adjusted the POI to be up two inches and it went 6.

I may have to give the scope another chance.

Should I try it on another rifle with proven mounts?
Would it be worth trying a proven scope in the ML-II's mounts to see if that's the problem?

Yeah.. Might as well try BOTH. I'd try the 4200 on a known entity rifle that groups really good. Sight it in and then move the scope adjustments what SHOULD be 4 inches down and see where it shoots. Then maybe 4 inches left or right.

I have seen people with scopes mounted with the w/e axis reversed. That is with the windage (left/right) adjustment UP.

I think the first qustion we should ask is are you making an adjustment every shot or off a group. If you are changing every shot, then maybe there is a problem with the load and not the scope.

i had a similar problem a few years back, it turned out that when the scope was set into the bottom rings, it was'nt sitting in there perfectly straight. it may have twisted when the tops were put on, i don't know how it happened, but anyways, the gun grouped well out 50 yards, but the longer shots it was all over the paper. it was like you were adjusting the scope but it seemed to be moving on an angle all the time...i reset the scope then it was fine??????

UPDATE:

I went to the range to test what was going on again and things started out crazy. My first three shots produced a 15 inch group! At this point I just about called it a day and considered tearing the scope off right there.

Then, I reconsidered and shot another 3 shot group with some barnes 300 grain bullets with supplied sabots over 62 grs of Reloader 7(completely different load). The result was a 2 inch three shot goup. I believe It would have been smaller if I would have waited longer between shots, but I was in no mood for waiting. I fired another group, but 5 shots this time (I wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke) and it was about 3 inches (took an hour to do). Not great, but at least smaller than 15 inches. I'm getting somewhere at least.

I wanted to end on a high note (comes from my dog training experience) so I quit and didn't start moving the group around....next time.

Thanks for everyones advice, it keeps me thinking.

dwhunter said:
The only problems I've had with Leupold is the cheap Vari x II's. No problems with the III's. I'd still take the Zeiss over any at this point. :wink:

As soon as my Unlce Gates passes down some of that computer money it will be Zeiss only for me too. Until then..........

I have had no problems with my wife's VX-II. I have heard not so good things about the VX-I and plan on never purchasing one.

I personally like Leupolds M-8 fixed power series and own two M-8 fixed 6X. Thats my favorite scope a fixed 6X. I hunt lopes, elk, and deer with it. I believe that did away with that series this year however, or at least changed the name of it.

Back