Scope or peep for CVA Wolf?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

Reaction score
Got a Wolf for my son. It is intended as a ~100Y deer rifle. I want to keep it both light and easy to shoot, and not go overboard on optics if I put a scope on it, in cost or weight.

The stock open sights are bad. I can shoot with them decently enough, but they are rough to adjust. He can't shoot with them well.

It's either a EABCO Peeprib sight or a (fixed) 2-5X 1" scope no more than $150. The problem is it's hard to know what scope will really work on a hard-kicking muzzleloader and which won't, and which have decent optics.

I'd love to hear recommendations on the EABCO sight vs scope, and any specific scopes that fit the bill.

I have an EA Brown peeprib base on my Optima and use a scope, with the peep as a backup that I'll probably never need (unless I draw a MZ tag or go out of state). My daughter's Wolf has a scope (UTG 2-7 I believe), it's a 100 yd gun with 240-250 grain Cheapshots and 70 grains 777 2f, recoil isn't really much to worry about. More like a shove than the hard "kick" of a smokeless. Anyhow it doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest compared to 3" tungsten coyote re-loads.
Watch the classifieds here you may pick up a decent optic for a great price.

You can pick up a Williams ghost ring sight $ 10.00 from Muzzle-Loaders. com.
It replaces the existing rear sight. Just loosen it up and slide it off the ramp.
You can also check to see if the rear sight base holes line up with the scope base holes. This way you can move the rear sight back a few inches for a better sight picture. If you're looking for a scope, something like a fixed power 4X, would be nice and not add very much extra weight.

Think I'm gonna go for a Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7 which is about 14 oz. It's hard to get lighter.

I assume the CVA one-piece mount is a good way to go. I've never seen a rifle receiver like this before - there are no scope rails, either 11mm or Weaver.

I bought the Crossfire 2-7 and I have to say I LOVE this rifle (and scope).

I am just amazed at what you can get in a modern inline for about $200 these days. Ok, closer to $400 with the Blackhorn breech plug and scope & mount, but still.

This rifle is almost as accurate as my much more expensive T/C Pro Hunter (which shoots Powerbelts around 1" at 100Y with some care).

I also like several things about the CVA design better - the breech plug access and the ease of cleaning (it comes apart easily unlike the TC). So much so I am thinking of saving the T/C for another kid or the wife and buying an Accura MR-X with nitride barrel...

That sounds like a fine plan Paul. In hindsight, I should have bought the Accura instead of Optima at the time, but still have no regrets.

I went and shouldered a Wolf this morning, I wanted to make sure I liked the feel as I wanted a short little gun to shoot with fiber optics and the ability to make it northwest legal and the ability to use blackhorn.

I was pretty impressed with how It felt and shoulders, I will be goinh back this week when I get time and buying it.

I will figure out what i want to shoot and get it ready for next fall as our season for black powder starts tomorrow morning. I become pretty fond of the $400 and less black powder guns, the day of me paying $1200-1500 for any of them is over.

I bought the Optima v2 a few months back,It is a great gun.I was going to buy a new accura mr x but, I honestly dont like the idea of carrying a fold up ram rod in a pack.I like the idea,and look of the ramrod under the gun.

I am shooting 25-150 yards max,most my gun kills in my 41 years are under 70 yards.We have thick slash and swamps up here in bush country.

The way I see it, reloading in the field is a very rare event, so it's not a big deal. At the range I use a range rod.

I've had my ramrod fall out jumping down a very short drop just from the impact of my boots on the ground. So there's that too.

I have needed it once in 20 years and it was in 2017 on my biggest buck, I must have shot high and missed him at 85 yards.He could have ran 10 yards into thick bush but he decises to run 20 yards closer,in middle of swamp and then stand their behind a bush for 15 minutes,I was reloaded in probably 30 seconds and could not believe he was there,I then waited,hoping he would walk out right or ledt of shru s and not walk other way and sure enough he dud and I dropped him at 64 yards where he stood.That was a long tense stand off,it was his day to die,the deer gods were cheering for me on that hunt.

I carry a hornhunter g3 for 3 months every fall on every uunt,bow,rifle,muzzloader, so I could carry the liie fild up rod if needed.

I think you will see more companies follow suit, they all do it whether its guns,bows,crossbows etc.

I have 3 muzzleloaders scoped and my others with either a peep sight or fiber optic sight. I will probably keep 2 with ooen sighys and scope the others in the end.

So I ended up ordering a Cva wolf stainless/black synthetic as a gift for my father to go along with the encore and omega he has been shooting for 20+ years and orderes myself the new Accura mr x, I just happened to look and the accura was on sale 150.00 off and the wolf was 50 dollars off.

I couldnt pass those up.Thanks Santa!

Had my optima v2 out for its first ever hunt this morning,-15 this morning,bucks are just starting to chase good,next few weeks should be fun.Back out in an hour.

It couls be -20 to -35 by now,so I cant complain,It has been decent weather so far this fall,not much snow yet and going to warm up a bit wednesday.Our black powder season is a week earlier than its been for ever.

I hope it stays somewhat mild until end of December for bow hunting,some late season' hunts in -35 are hard to get excuted for the older I get.

It couls be -20 to -35 by now,so I cant complain,It has been decent weather so far this fall,not much snow yet and going to warm up a bit wednesday.Our black powder season is a week earlier than its been for ever.

I hope it stays somewhat mild until end of December for bow hunting,some late season' hunts in -35 are hard to get excuted for the older I get.

-35?!

Is that F or C?

Where are you?

-35?!

Is that F or C?

Where are you?
that is celsius,and I am in Canada.

Its warmed right up today,4 does ,2 fawns a d a spiker in bow range today.Waiting on a good one,6 days of black powder left and until Dec 31st at dark to bowhunt.

Latest posts

Back