Scorpion PT Gold as range round?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bushfire, I can't say for sure but our wages in most of the U.S. do not cover the rate of inflation we are currently seeing/feeling. For example, within less than 30 days, a box of factory second bullets went up over 40%. Gas for us is high at 4.19 and up per gallon, plus medical costs are going crazy. Its all a matter of perspective. I think its sticker shock more than complaining. We are nor far behind you. A box of Hornady 458 Monoflex is 60.00 USD and that's not loaded ammo.
John

Bushfire, I can't say for sure but our wages in most of the U.S. do not cover the rate of inflation we are currently seeing/feeling. For example, within less than 30 days, a box of factory second bullets went up over 40%. Gas for us is high at 4.19 and up per gallon, plus medical costs are going crazy. Its all a matter of perspective. I think its sticker shock more than complaining.

We're in the same boat here, wages stagnant and inflation/prices of everything going up. Houses in capitals cities have doubled in price the last two years, fuel at anywhere from $8-9 gallon at the moment. I filled up this morning at $7.91 near work at a elf serve community run fuel station but in town it's around $9. Meat, veg and canned goods continuing to sky-rocket. Because we are in the a-hole of the world supply of anything has been challenging and freight extreme.

I work in ag and Urea is up to $1600 per tonne, farmers have baulked at $650 in the past. Farm land that two years ago went for $2-3000 per acre is anywhere from $6-10,000 per acre.

My wife and I wanted to buy 50-100 acres near the mountains for camping and hunting. A few years ago that was under $100k easily. Now you need to be prepared to pay up to $1 million for something like that.

I would add, I worked with a guy in my last job whose sister bought a unit in Melbourne 4 years ago for a little over $300k. Sold it last year for $1.1 million. House prices in the country have increased too but not at that rate and there is a growing divide in wealth equality between urbanites and us country people.

Sadly, we are seeing that same divide. People are bidding on houses well above the asking price. Its going to crash again like it did a number of years and they will be upside down on them and end up claiming bankruptcy. Crazy times for all of us.

I like Barnes expander bullets, and I have friends that use them for elk and love them. They are high priced, and I've found much cheaper bullets that work just as well or better. I've been shooting .45-70 bullets, and they are designed for about the same velocity. I am thinking about making a jig to make hollowpoints out of Berry's 350 gr. bullets to make them legal for hunting. At $0.30 apiece, they are a bargain.

I think folks may be misinterpreting Ron's test of the 260 gr. PT Scorpion. It ended up at 166 gr. Where do you think the other 94 gr. of lead and copper went. I'd be willing to be that all that shrapnel inside of a deer would do considerable damage. I believe that is the concept behind Berger bullets, which are very effective on game. The deer my buddy shot with a 300 gr. PT was very dead.

I think folks may be misinterpreting Ron's test of the 260 gr. PT Scorpion. It ended up at 166 gr. Where do you think the other 94 gr. of lead and copper went. I'd be willing to be that all that shrapnel inside of a deer would do considerable damage.
Can't speak for others, but I agree that the other 95 grains would stay inside the deer and do damage..damage that results in a lower yield of meat...that's my concern. That's why I like the barnes because the weight retension is so high that I only need to think about visible bloodshoot meat, not fragments further away from main wound channel.

Back