Searching for my field hunting rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well today was no different them most days for me. Get the work down early and then head to the range. I decided that the Genesis is a definite rifle in the race for the field shooting should I decide to hunt there. But there is one rifle in my arsenal that has never let me down. That would be the "Filthy Beast!"

Rifle: Thompson Center Black Diamond XR .50 caliber 1-28 twist
Scope: Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm
Powders: Triple Seven 2f, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P
Ignition: Winchester W209 primers
Projectiles: Barnes 250 grain MZ Expanders, Speer 300 gr .452 Deep Curl Gold Dots, .40 caliber 180 grain Speer Gold Dot, Hornady 350 grain FPB, No Excuses .503 460 grain conical.
Swab Solution: Rusty Duck Black Off
Distance: three readings.. 53 yards range finder
Weather: in the 60's over cast, no wind

I got all situated at the bench and swabbed the bore of the rifle, then dry patched it. I then popped two primers. Normally if I were going hunting, I would foul the bore first as this used to throw the first shot, according to my notes. Well its nice to know the rifle has not changed.

BDXR10-11001.jpg

The first shot on a clean barrel as you can see was high, left and all most two inches out of the group. I then saw a 180 grain Speer Gold Dot and blue sabot in the shooting bag, and decided to give the rifle one more chance to behave. I swabbed the bore and shot. #2 was high, but not really too bad. This rifle is sighted in for 50 yards according to my notes. I then swabbed between shots and using 110 grains of Triple Seven 2f, Harvester EZ load sabots, and the Speer Deep Curl .452 Gold Dot shot that five shot group. I was more then pleased with that.

Observations: Thank goodness these were EZ load sabots. They went down the barrel very stiff. But I do think that added to the accuracy

of them.
BDXR10-11003.jpg

The next projectile I wanted to test was the Barnes 250 grain MZ Expander. They came with a red sabot. I do not know the make of that sabot. I loaded 120 grains of Triple Seven 2f only because Barnes usually likes a good stiff load. Maybe I should have left it at 110 grains. Although I was pleased with the group, I would have liked to see them all touching.

Observations: These red sabots and Barnes bullets loaded way too easy in my opinion. I would have liked a little stiffer slid down the bore. I think it would have increased the accuracy a little. But then this is only a guess. I then swabbed the rifle clean.

I decided at this point to test the Black Diamond XR with the Hornady FPB conical bullets. I shot a squib load to foul the bore and then shot my group without swabbing. I was shooting 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f.
BDXR10-11005.jpg

I was aiming for the bull to the right of that mess. Why they did what they did, I have no idea. But I am kind of glad that package of conical bullets is over with.

Observations: Loaded fine, not a real problem. But accuracy wise, they do not meet my standards with this rifle.

So I swabbed the bore clean and sat there thinking of what to shoot next. Since I always have claimed that even though this rifle has a QLA it always shot the large conicals well. So I decided to retest the rifle since I have not shot conicals from it in a long time. My notes said 75-80 grains of powder. I decided to use Pyrodex P. I then got a new box of .503 460 grain No Excuses Conical bullets out.

BDXR10-11004.jpg

The Black Diamond XR did not let me down. It always shot these well and it did so today. #5 was all my fault. I was getting a little smart for my own good, and while really concentrating, put my finger on the trigger too soon. My Black Diamond XR has a very crisp trigger and not a lot of pull is needed to make it go BOOM. #5 was all my fault. Not too bad a group.

Observations: These conical bullets load like a dream. I tried to shake them off the charge and could not. Also with their accuracy they might make a good load for the rifle.

Looking in my shooting bag I discovered a small baggie with some bullets and sabots that Sabotloader was kind enough to send me. I really know little about these other then on the bag it said, 260 gr PT and the sabots were Harvester Crushed rib. The bullet would be a .452.

BDXR10-11007.jpg

I loaded 110 grains of Pyrodex RS. They loaded like a dream. Too loose IMO but accuracy wise they shot fine. I only shot three because I have a few more and want to test them in another rifle..

Over all I had a great time out there. But the Black Diamond XR was up to its dirty old tricks. I had to break the rifle down twice during the shooting and clean the striker and the floor of the breech as it was slowing things down. Also I checked the breech plug at one point and it was almost seized up. So I took the rifle apart at the bench and using a socket and long extension finally was able to break the breech plug free. I then cleaned it basically and shot the two last groups.

The Black Diamond is old technology when it comes to inline rifles. But it is sure hard to argue with the way it shoots. But it is still.. my Filthy Beast!!

Great range report! Very informative on a wide range of projectiles & powders.

The Harvester 260 PT's are .451. Put them in a Harvester smooth black sabot and they will tighten up some in your bore and accuracy should improve, however the 3 you shot with crushed ribs look good and should provide great long range trajectory if you are field hunting.

Nothing wrong with those IMO. :yeah:

BTW the PTs come out to .4515 for me and right on .451 after going thru a Lee .451 die. GoldDot 250s seem to run the largest unless my last box was a bit off.

AAH a kindred spirit...I too love my ( Filthy Beast) Black Diamond XR .50!Definately one of the great inlines.Mine's a blued / walnut with an aperture sight.

Mine has the blued barrel, and the black plastic stock. Then I mounted a very small Bushnell Banner Scope on it with Woods Trophy mounts. The scope was a very low end scope but it has surprised me with the clarity, and how tough this Banner scope is.

This rifle has always been a good shooter, and while its filthy when you shoot it, like I told a T/C technician when were were talking about Omegas... if you can find one that out shoots my BD I might be interested. He then chuckled and told me that the design of that rifle and the barrels they used made it one of the best shooters out there. I know that if a "good shooter" got his hands on that rifle he could really make it shoot.

Latest posts

Back