Season Ends, with a whimper and no bang

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maryland's season ends with a 3 day flintlock/sidelock only season from Feb 1-3. I had work on the 1st but managed to sit on both the 2nd and 3rd, This season was less successful than some earlier ones and my freezer could use another doe. On day 1, 3 deer came in, and as I was assessing which would yield the most meat, another group approached and both scared each other off...with no shot. On day 2, 3 deer came in and as I was waiting for my target to get into an ethical shooting angle, they spooked and off they went...and with it, my season. I went back towards the house, fired off the 70 grains of 3f Swiss behind a Hornady Great Plains, took the gun inside, cleaned it well, oiled it and set it to rest.

In all, this season had some disappointments. The usually reliable second muzzleloader deer in the early season did not happen, poor tracking on a crossbow shot buck gave a meal to the vultures that would have been mine if I were more astute.

On the other hand, there were some successes too. I learned to hunt from the {non-horse} saddle and really enjoy it! One afternoon, in the saddle, I had my pin on a doe and she would have dropped for sure and I decided to pass because I just did not feel like spending the next two hours butchering...and I enjoyed watching her, practing my shot routine and watching her wander off, none the wiser to my presence. And more, perhaps, is that I learned a little more patience...learned not to rush my shots and learned that it is a better feeling to not take a questionable shot, than to shoot and wound.

So, the freezer is a little lighter, but I can always look forward to next year. And in the meantime, on to spring fishing season!

Sounds like you had a very successful season! It's not about harvesting a deer everytime you go out! That's a bonus to me! The worst feeling to me as a hunter is to wound an animal and not recover it! It happens but it sucks!

Latest posts

Back