Sighting in at 50 yds.?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentgate

Reaction score
Hey, guys, new to this forum. I have a Thompson Center Omega .50 cal. which I plan on using 150 gr. 777 pellets and a 250 gr. Shockwave bullet. My biggest problem is that I have only 50-60 yds. on my property that I can use for sighting in my gun. Is there a formula that can be used to predict approximately where my bullets will hit at 100 yds. or more if sighted in at 50 yds. with this bullet/powder combo? A friend of mine said that 2-3 in. high at 50 yds. would still be dead on at 150 yds.(??)

silentgate said:
Hey, guys, new to this forum. I have a Thompson Center Omega .50 cal. which I plan on using 150 gr. 777 pellets and a 250 gr. Shockwave bullet. My biggest problem is that I have only 50-60 yds. on my property that I can use for sighting in my gun. Is there a formula that can be used to predict approximately where my bullets will hit at 100 yds. or more if sighted in at 50 yds. with this bullet/powder combo? A friend of mine said that 2-3 in. high at 50 yds. would still be dead on at 150 yds.(??)

I have the exact same setup. Hornady makes the Shockwave which is the same as their own SST-ML only with different sabots.

Hope this helps.
Hornady_Ballistics.jpg

It is always a good idea to actually shoot your rifle at the intended zero range before hunting. Also one should shoot at the maximum range you intend to shoot before hunting. Many times what looks good on a ballistic program will not match with actual results. Also ballistic programs will show drop, but do not reveal any accuracy problems, gun problems, or shooter error. Too much to leave to chance. Regardless if you plan on shooting at live game at 100 yards or even 300 yards, then you should shoot at that distance prior to hunting. Just good practice and good ethics.

Like Rifleman said , shoot it , because all in all those graph's give a good idea(guide) and all the proof is on the paper in the end . I was told and have read on this site that Pyrodex & T7 were'nt equal , that T7 burned much hotter , so how can they say that by using either , you'll get the same results . I also read that by using T7 --compared to Pyrodex , you'd use 20% less powder , so who's right ? So if I was anyone here , do your own homework and find out what each and every one of your guns can do , too many variables & too much BS marketing going on , kind of like the moniker "magnum ML" - how many got taken on that one ? :lol:

Back