Sighting in the new Accura MR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
After getting my new Accura Mr set up and letting the Lok-tite dry for a couple of hours, I had about an hour before dark to start sighting it in. I used 250 gn Hornady SSTs in the supplied sabots over 70 gn weighed of BH209 to get it centered at 50 yds, taking 5 shots. I then backed up to 100 yds and after another 7-8 shots had it pretty well zeroed. I was running out of daylight so I then took 3 shots with 265 gn FTXs in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 77 gn weighed of BH209. This is an exceptionally accurate load in My Accura V2. The results are shown in the photo below. Not too bad and I'm sure I can tighten it up with a little work.

I then took 3 shots at a new target with Cutting Edge Bullets .430 250 gn Maximus bullets. I had never used these bullets before and only just ordered some when they had a 30% off Black Friday sale. The company says to use them in 1 in 24", or greater, twist but I had read a couple of reviews that said they shot well from 1 in 28" barrels. These are controlled fracturing bullets that claim to have a ballistic coefficient of .311. I used them in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 70 gn weighed BH209. The following photo is that target. Pretty impressive for a first effort. They seem to have stabilized fine. I'm definitely going to have to shoot some more of these.
Everyone who has one says the Accura MR is a great shooter and with my limited amount of shooting so far, I'll have to agree. I'm sure after trying some other loads, and with a little tweaking, I'll have it shooting 1" groups at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 20161221_133142-1024x768.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 20161221_131100-1024x768.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 253
I got some more range time with the Accura MR today. I really like the way the rifle feels when I shoulder it and it is very well balanced. Like my Accura V2, it will shoot a variety of load combinations well. It does seem to have just a bit tighter bore than the V2. Below are 4 targets that I shot with 4 different bullets at 100 yds. All these were my first attempts with that particular combination. Each target was 5 shots.

The upper left target was the .458 250 gn Hornady Monoflex in an orange MMP sabot over 70 gn(weighed) BH209.
The upper right was the .430 265 gn Hornady FP Interlock in a green crush rib sabot over 70 gn(weighed) BH209.
The lower left was the .458 325 gn Hornady FTX in an orange MMP sabot over 77 gn(weighed) BH209.
The lower right was the .430 300 gn Hornady XTP in a green crush rib sabot over 77 gn(weighed) BH209.

It really liked the Monoflex and the XTP. The Interlock shows promise. The FTX was disappointing. That same load is extremely accurate out of my V2 and yesterday the MR shot the 265 gn FTX pretty well. I'll try tweaking the powder amount next time. I wanted to shoot some more of the Cutting Edge Bullets 250 gn Maximus, which shot so well yesterday, but ran out of time. I'll try it again next time out.

Overall, I really like this rifle and will be using it next weekend for our first late winter deer weekend. I just need to decide on a load to use.

Attachments

• 20161222_145502~1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 196
Not many CVA users here I guess, but I think your using the best CVA makes in the MR. Good luck hunting and hope to see some pics of your harvest!!

Grouse said:
Not many CVA users here I guess, but I think your using the best CVA makes in the MR. Good luck hunting and hope to see some pics of your harvest!!
I've only had the MR a few days and have only put about 50 rounds through it but already, I would agree with you. I also have a CVA Accura V2 and an Optima V2. The Optima is a step down from the Accura as far as not having an adjustable trigger or the soft touch coating on the stock but it shoots just as well. IMO, the Accura V2 is a fine rifle and one of the best break action muzzleloaders you can buy. The quality of construction is excellent and the accuracy is just as good as the MR. However, the MR just feels better when I shoulder it. It is better balanced. The geometry of the stock fits me better and brings my eye in alignment with the scope quicker and more naturally. It is reasonably lightweight, yet still handles recoil well, again, probably due to the stock geometry. When I first handled an MR, I was a bit surprised. I guess I figured it would feel like an Accura V2 with a 2" shorter barrel but it really feels like a whole different rifle. The CVA inlines of today are so far above the quality of those they produced years ago, you can't really even compare them. If someone had told me ten years ago that I would own 1 CVA inline, I would have told them they were nuts. Now I have 3.

sabinajiles said:
The CVA inlines of today are so far above the quality of those they produced years ago, you can't really even compare them. If someone had told me ten years ago that I would own 1 CVA inline, I would have told them they were nuts. Now I have 3.

If you only new :D But I think change and quality are huge improvements with CVA and I love the feel of the MR as well. The trigger and accuracy is perfect for me. I think Knight, CVA and T/C are all making changes to improve modern day inline muzzleloaders.

Latest posts

Back