Slight Dilemma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that I have the scope on my Optima rifle a little too close to my eye.
When I got home from the range, I cleaned up the gun and figured I would loosen the rings and push the scope forward a bit. Seems like the screws just won't budge. I used a drop of blue loctite on the threads and didn't think I over tightened the screws. I always snug them down good though.
I figured to heat up the Torx wrench a bit to try to break the bond.
First time I ever had this problem.
Don't know if anyone has any ideas for me?

I would put a little heat right on the screws. Nothing wrong with heating up the Torx a little, but I don’t think that much heat will make its way down to the threads (and Loctite).

A heat gun is one option. If you don’t have one, but have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can often get their basic one for under $10, by using a coupon. They’re Chinese crap (as is everything from Harbor Freight!😆), but they’re OK for occasional use. A lot better than the Mrs.’ hair dryer!
1500 Watt 11 Amp Dual Temperature Heat Gun

A small soldering iron is another option. You can put the tip on the screw head, to really direct where the heat goes. If you have a small enough tip, you might be able to place it right into the Torx recess! Hold that tip against the screw, and give the heat a chance to penetrate.

A small butane “micro torch” type implement might be another option, though I don’t have any experience using one. Thanks to the crack and meth smokers, you might find the hardware store keeps the butane torches locked up, somewhere.

Last edited:
I would try spray some Break Free on it,let it work for an hour or so.Push down firmly before turning screws and dont go crazy on single screw.If one wont turn switch to another,then another....usually when you get one to turn others will start to turn afterwards.Good luck.

Funny you should mention that. I had basically the same issue trying to remove a screw on one of my scope rings. I used some brake cleaner and then a torch. I let it heat up for about 45 seconds and was able to get the screw out.

Use a solder iron or wood burner iron and heat a little then use penatrating oil. It will suck the oil in that way. Its worked for me for many rears. The heat will loosen lock tite.

Good news for me. I found a set of Torx wrenches in one of my tool boxes this morning.
One with a bit of a longer shaft
than what I was trying to use the other day was all it took to break the screws loose.
I moved the scope forward about a inch. That should be enough. I think there's about 3 inches of eye relief now.

Latest posts

Back