Sighting in conundrum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I added a scope to my new to me TC thunderhawk. This past Saturday, I went to the range with the hopes of finishing up sighting in. I thought I had it dialed in pretty close last time out, so I figured a couple shots and I'd be good to go. Not!
My first shot Saturday hit 1 inch left at 50 yards. Shot #2 hit a inch left and a inch high. I moved the windage a bit, shot #3 hit 2 inches right. Moved the windage back a bit and shot #4 hit dead center bull.
Shots 5 and 6 hit about 3 inches high, one right and one to the left. Shots 7 and 8 hit low.
I'm guessing that the scope I bought, a Bushnell 3x9x40 long eye relief, is a dud.
I've had good luck with the few Bushnell scopes that I've owned in the past but not this one, I guess.
I'm also wondering about the bullet/sabot combo I'm using. Of the 8 or 9 shots, at least 3 or 4 bullets slid down the barrel with very light ramrod pressure, while the others needed a firm hand on the rod.
I'm planning on sending the scope back for a replacement.
I could still hunt with the rifle as it has very nice iron sights, which I have already had the chance to shoot with.
With bow season starting in a couple weeks and getting ready for that plus everything else going on, I won't have time to work with the gun.
I guess bargain scopes aren't a bargain sometimes. Lol

Giving you credit for being an experienced shooter who know how to bench rest a rifle, it sure sounds like the scope. I can’t imagine slight variations in loading pressure could have you that far off at 50 yards.

What bullet and sabot were you using? Did all the bullets fit into the sabot the same way? That’s another unusual problem if you were using modern bullets with plastic sabots. I have not even experienced a slight difference getting the modern stuff down the barrel.

Giving you credit for being an experienced shooter who know how to bench rest a rifle, it sure sounds like the scope. I can’t imagine slight variations in loading pressure could have you that far off at 50 yards.

What bullet and sabot were you using? Did all the bullets fit into the sabot the same way? That’s another unusual problem if you were using modern bullets with plastic sabots. I have not even experienced a slight difference getting the modern stuff down the barrel.

Attachments

• 20230908_192804.jpg
    10.3 MB · Views: 1
I had a conversation with a member the other day about loading. He suggested that I try indexing the sabots, which I did.
I tried to line them up the same way every time.
Between shots, one damp patch and 2 dry. Is it possible that the sabots themselves could have a variation in thickness?

Pull the scope and shoot the irons at 50 and see if it groups. You are sending the scope back. I've had Bushnell in the past and I had them fail switched to Leopold scopes now had one of those fail to but it was fixed at no charge and I was the one that damaged that one and Leopold still replaces it I couldn't believe it. Muzzleloaders are hard on scopes. I believe you are on the right track.

I'd remove the scope, then recheck the base screw tightness again and the tightness of the rings on the scope, reattach and re-shoot. It doesn't take much looseness anywhere in the scopes mounting for accuracy to go to pot as you describe.

I'd remove the scope, then recheck the base screw tightness again and the tightness of the rings on the scope, reattach and re-shoot. It doesn't take much looseness anywhere in the scopes mounting for accuracy to go to pot as you describe.
How true it is.

I am sorry to read of scope n or scope mount trouble. Or if its sabot/bullet related, head scratching n pondering has become the issue. Last minute/day week is always a problem. I just got my MXB Dagger sighted in to 40 yards this morning. I still don't have any ML sighted in or load worked up. This move to Mo. has me worn out.

Smokepole, where in MO did you move? My wife and I moved here from eastern Colorado back in 2019. Just as COVID shut everything down. We're in SE Missouri, little town of Potosi.

In the past when I’ve seen what you describe in a ML, I immediately pulled the scope and mounted it a centerfire rifle where I had a known accurate load handy.

Then I shot a box test on the CF rifle. I like to use a lightweight .308 rifle, to generate sone recoil into the scope.

If the scope passes the box test, I’d rule out the scope itself. If a scope has bad internals, it will show up in a box test with a CF rifle.

While the scope is off, I inspect base and rings. I’ve discovered a loose base on a ML when I had I totally assumed the scope was bad.

If your scope, bade andrings check out good, then you know it’s something to do with the ML itself.

Last edited:
I've been pretty lucky with scopes. In my 55+ years I only had one scope go bad on me and that was a Simmons. (go figure!)
I had scopes by Bushnell, Tasco, Burris, Konus, Leupold, Redfield and Cabelas to name a few. I just another scope that I put on my Moutaineer but I can't recall the brand or model right now.
I have a little Cabelas 2-7x scope on my 700ML and that is holding up nicely. Even with heavy charges of BH209 and T7. Not sure who makes them for Cabelas but really they ain't bad for a hunting scope on a muzzy.

I've been pretty lucky with scopes. In my 55+ years I only had one scope go bad on me and that was a Simmons. (go figure!)
I had scopes by Bushnell, Tasco, Burris, Konus, Leupold, Redfield and Cabelas to name a few. I just another scope that I put on my Moutaineer but I can't recall the brand or model right now.
I have a little Cabelas 2-7x scope on my 700ML and that is holding up nicely. Even with heavy charges of BH209 and T7. Not sure who makes them for Cabelas but really they ain't bad for a hunting scope on a muzzy.
Yup, same here. I have a Bushnell on my Optima V2 rifle and it's fine.
I also have a Nikon, Burris and a Cabela's.

I put a Simmons on my Accura just to get it sighted for deer season and its been such a good scope I haven't taken it off to replace it. That's like 10 years ago. More recently I've been finding the Vortex Crossfire scopes to be nice eyewear. I have one on the .45 Patriot and it tolerates the recoil very well. I have a couple of the Crossfire 2X7X32's on other guns and they're very nice too.

Do you have the open sights on your rifle? If so maybe take the scope off and shoot a group at 50 yards and see how it shoots
It does have very nice iron sights which I already have used. It shoots pretty well, even with my old eyes.
If I hunt with the gun this year, that's what I would do. I don't think I'll have time to redial in a new scope but we'll see.

Latest posts

Back