Smokeless post 06/28/06

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I was at the range over four hours today! One of those days when I felt I accomplished practically nothing. My focus today was to get the new scopes sighted in on my White Rifles AND to try the 250gr TMZ with 44gr SR-4759.

I don't know what it is about this bullet but I just can't seem to get it to groups with ANY of the same consistancy of the 250gr SST. It just ain't happening. I can get some good groups, but really nothing like what any of the rifles WILL do. I have pictures but I'm not fired up enough to even post them! Here ARE the numbers however:

Blue/synthetic 10ML-II 44gr Sr-4759/250gr TMZ MV-2238fps
2.1 inches

Stainless/Laminate 10ML-II 44gr SR-4759/250gr TMZ MV-2241fps
2.2 inches

ULA .50 44gr SR-4759/250gr TMZ MV-2320fps
1.59 inches

I next tried the 44gr SR-4759 charge using the 290gr TMZ. The 290gr TMZ has been, at least for ME, a MUCH more forgiving bullet/better shooting bullet.

Blue/synthetic 10ML-II MV-2159fps
1.37 inches

Stainless/Laminate 10ML-II MV-2160fps
1.54 inches

Next I tried the 275gr .451 Barnes XBP with 58gr VV N-120 with a Harvester short black sabot. I felt this combination loaded a little too easily to next time I'll be sure and used the HPH-12.

Blue/synthetic 10ML-II MV-2242fps
1.37 inches

Stainless/laminate 10ML-II MV-2247fps
2.07 inches

Finally I shot my hog load from my ULA which MAY be my whitetail load this fall to see how IT would do today. That load is a 275gr T-Shock XLR with 44gr SR-4759. MV was 2261fps and group size was 1.45 inches which is the largest group I've shot with this load!

Conclusions?
SO FAR the best shooting loads TO DATE for me using the 250gr TMZ have been as follows:

ULA
5/20/06
59gr N-120 2443fps 1.33 inches
61gr N-120 2499fps 1.30 inches

06/18/06
61gr N-120 2480fps 1.45 inches

Blue/synthetic 10ML-II
06/18/06
61gr N-120 2467fps 1.24 inches

Those are the BEST! Not one single group less than one inch. I think it is time to move along and let the 250gr TMZ lie!
Maybe today just wasn't the best of days to go to the range! :(

Even your pet load didnt break 1" :? You probably wasnt 100% focused on shooting today. :idea: Still a good honest range report bud.

Chuck it looks as if your blue/syn is a pretty good shooter!

Just read the Barnes newsletter and in Ty's Tips he did not get really good groupings either with the 250 gr TMZ.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/newsletter_July06.htm

I would love to get the NULA but would have to sell too many guns to get one and would still be short of the cash. So I have been looking at getting a MLII... I would sell my SS Elite and get one. I have been agonizing over the extra cost of the SS and Lam MLII. Looks as if the blue/syn may be the way to save money while still shooting smokeless. I figure the extra money saved would allow me to get the EZ Tool and other accessories needed. Then maybe in a year or two upgrade the stock if I am not satisfied with it.

I have tried to read posts about the differences in performance between blue/SS and Syn/Lam. Doesn't look to be a big difference... I would only use smokeless so there would not be the huge fouling and corrosion issue.

What are your thoughts on the between blue/SS and syn/lam... keep in mind I am not that concerned about looks, this is a tool to hunt with. Thanks!!

Chuck looks as if the VV N120 is still the ticket. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the TMZ's. :)

flatland hunter said:
Chuck it looks as if your blue/syn is a pretty good shooter!

Just read the Barnes newsletter and in Ty's Tips he did not get really good groupings either with the 250 gr TMZ.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/newsletter_July06.htm

I would love to get the NULA but would have to sell too many guns to get one and would still be short of the cash. So I have been looking at getting a MLII... I would sell my SS Elite and get one. I have been agonizing over the extra cost of the SS and Lam MLII. Looks as if the blue/syn may be the way to save money while still shooting smokeless. I figure the extra money saved would allow me to get the EZ Tool and other accessories needed. Then maybe in a year or two upgrade the stock if I am not satisfied with it.

I have tried to read posts about the differences in performance between blue/SS and Syn/Lam. Doesn't look to be a big difference... I would only use smokeless so there would not be the huge fouling and corrosion issue.

What are your thoughts on the between blue/SS and syn/lam... keep in mind I am not that concerned about looks, this is a tool to hunt with. Thanks!!

flatland hunter, I think your plan to get a Blue/synthetic 10ML-II in a sound one. You can usually find one under $450. That?s how I got started into smokeless, the same way. Then my second Savage was a Stainless/laminate 10ML-II. Both guns shoot very well, but the biggest difference was the weight between the two. This difference was that the synthetic stock is very cheap and noticeably barrel heavy. The laminate stock handled much better, but heavy. This year, I finally got around to replacing the synthetic stock with a laminate stock from RW.

So now when I need a light gun I used my Knights.

I'm Impressed

Thanks big6x6.
That's a valuable post by someone with your skill and experience. I'm surprised to see your "Blue/synthetic 10ML-II" literally out shoot the others. I too was worried somewhat about paying the extra dough for the hy-end model.
Thanks for the report
ziton

Back