solid lead bullets ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishtony

Reaction score
i was wondering what are my options now in 2013.
beyond a patched round ball.
i see online some new to me bullets like the http://www.prbullet.com/
Conical Bullets and Specialty style projectiles at a high price i might add.
i must say i have never used the keith style Conical but this round looks very nice to me.
a have a few of the older 1:48 and 1:32" twist barreled weapons i would like to try this one out in.

being heavier then a PRB one would think it would just fine a 200# deer sized game.
in the past many deer have i took with the old PRB out to 75 yards or so but most in Bow ranges.

the reason for all this winter online down time is a new pacemaker and a need for less recoil
yet i would like to try something other then PRB in the old TC 50 cal renegade and the 54 cal CVA that is 1:32
this weapon has never shot well and i now have to play/tinker with it again.

http://www.prbullet.com/ulk.htm
this one looks fine but i suspect the adds are balloon inflated facts at best.
has anyone ever used these on live game.

I'm pretty sure Cecil from PR bullets was a used car salesman in a previous life. Actually if I remember right it was real estate but you get the point. He does make a darn fine bullet but wow are they pricey for lead bullets.

The TC maxi ball was made for the Renegade, and will knock an elk on it's butt. It will blow right through any deer.

I've shot the 250gr Lee REAL .50s from a 1-48" and a 1-20". It groups well from both and doesn't make a lot of recoil. If you cast your won they aren't $$.

Have you tried the Hornady Pa Conicals? They are 240gr, hollow based, and reportedly designed with 1-66" twist in mind.

excess650 said:
I've shot the 250gr Lee REAL .50s from a 1-48" and a 1-20". It groups well from both and doesn't make a lot of recoil. If you cast your won they aren't $$.

Have you tried the Hornady Pa Conicals? They are 240gr, hollow based, and reportedly designed with 1-66" twist in mind.

no excess650, i have not used these Pa Conicals. i was looking at them online this past week.
i was also looking at the 250gr Lee REAL .50s. and i think this spring i will give making them a try.
a man can always use another hobby. lol

excess650 said:

no excess650, i have not used these Pa Conicals. i was looking at them online this past week.
i was also looking at the 250gr Lee REAL .50s. and i think this spring i will give making them a try.
a man can always use another hobby. lol :yeah:

Heavier slugs will give you more recoil. If you want something other than PRBs, try sabots. 200-250gr XTPs in sabots should give you your "fix" without excessive recoil. You will need to clean between shots, but it gives you a relatively low recoil option. A friend of mine has taken numerous whitetails with 200gr XTPs from his 50cal TCs.

My only 54cal has only been shot with PRBs, but is 1-48" twist. I would suggest sabots in your 1-32" twist so as to keep the payload and resultant recoil on the moderate side. 54cal conicals are heavy!

Latest posts

Back