SST-ML Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duurmeehr

Reaction score
I am shooting a CVA Optima V2. First time muzzleloading. I had sighted in with two pellets of T7 and the Hornady 50 Cal SST-ML 250 grain. I haven't killed anything yet.

I am about convinced to switch to the .430 XTP (not the mag) but don't have time to rezero.

Do I need to be concerned with expansion running only two pellets? I don't know if we are allowed to post links but this concerned me after watching it.

I am shooting a CVA Optima V2. First time muzzleloading. I had sighted in with two pellets of T7 and the Hornady 50 Cal SST-ML 250 grain. I haven't killed anything yet.

I am about convinced to switch to the .430 XTP (not the mag) but don't have time to rezero.

Do I need to be concerned with expansion running only two pellets? I don't know if we are allowed to post links but this concerned me after watching it.

I'll only use those SST's to foul my bore & punch paper. I gave away most of what I had.

If the SST is shooting accurately I would not trade that for another bullet that you are unsure of the zero. You put the SST in the boiler room it will die. Your not sure if the XTP will hit the boiler room. Probably but not sure. An accurate bullet is far more important than any other character of a bullet. My $.02, stick with the SST until you have a chance to sight in the XTP.

The bullet in the video did not perform well. But, IMO, there’s more to that story. The bullet obviously hit something (maybe before impacting the deer) and tumbled. I wouldn’t give up on SSTs (or any bullet) after one experience with it. I’ve killed dozens of animals with SST 250 and 300 gr bullets. They work just fine.

150 is my max. I'll hunt with something else till weather permits rezero. I have already purchased the xtp's.

Something caused the bullet to tumble.

Pushed by two Triple Seven pellets the velocity of the 250 grain SST is 1,700 fps give or take 25 fps. The Hodgdon table says 1,785 fps but that's too optimistic. At 40 yards your bullet was hitting around 1,650 fps.

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf
Two Triple Seven pellets are not the ballistic equivalent of 100 grains of loose Triple Seven FFG, which generates 1,950 fps at the muzzle, give or take 25 fps.

Most of my shots are at ranges less than 75 yards, but i've killed deer and hogs in excess of 200 yards and the 250 grain SST bullet expanded perfectly.

My Encore is presently loaded with the 250 grain SST bullet in the crush rib sabot in front of 120 grains of Black MZ powder. That combination gives in excess of 1,900 fps at the muzzle.

This >350 pound hog is the largest animal i've killed with a muzzleloader, he measured over 19 inches through the shoulders. Distance was 35-40 yards. Bullet hit one rib on entry and was found expanded under the skin on the opposite side.

Attachments

• DSC01128.JPG
    DSC01128.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I guess the question I would like to ask Hornady is what the minimum recommended IMPACT velocity for that bullet. I would think 2X (.430 to .8) would be good.

Don't know what the minimum recommended impact velocity is. However, this 250 grain SST came from a hog shot at a lasered 216 yards. The 240 grain .430 XTP bullet came from a deer shot at a lasered 172 yards.

Attachments

• 250 gr SST (Small).jpg
    250 gr SST (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 240 Gr. XTP (Small).jpg
    240 Gr. XTP (Small).jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
I just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable and helpful guy at Hornady.

I thought I should share.

I told him my concerns and asked about the minimum recommended velocity on the SST-ML bullet, 250 gr, .452".

He said their recommended minimum TERMINAL velocity, which he explained is the velocity at moment of impact, was 1200 fps on that particular bullet.

When I asked what expansion should be expected at that velocity he said 1.5 times the caliber barring hitting heavy bone.

For what it's worth.

Last edited:
So the math says if you start out at 1700 fps you hit that at about 175 yards.

Thanks all for the input.

I feel better using it for the animals sake pending further testing!

Thank you! I made the post in jest assuming you were too quick with the finger stroke.

It would have been interesting to know what the MAXIMUM suggested velocity was.

I think a lot of people are loading the bullets too hard thinking they'll get some more punch, knock-down power [magnum itis if you will], and that's what is causing the disintegration issues with the SS bullets. When I began using XTP's I liked to load really hot and found that any bone contacted really did a number on the bullets [250 and 300 grain bullets by the way]. After reading some of the recommended beginning operating velocities on some of the XTP bullets I had my eyes opened. When I sat down and looked for a tighter group with my Accura, I switched from the .451 and .452 fodder to .429 and .430 bullets and cut back quite a bit on the charges and found accuracy I'd never imagined in a muzzy and those bullets performed absolutely beautifully. I don't shoot the BH anywhere near the maximum at 77 weighed grains, even with a 250 grain Barnes copper bullet. I still have a whole range box full of 240, 250 and 300 grain XTPs in both .451 and .429 sizes if I can't find the Barnes bullets after next season and will simply make an adjustment to load level. because I don't need a bazooka at the usual 15 to 30 yard ranges I shoot my deer at.

Every gun is different and my first experiences with the XTP's came in using a really early Optima. I use a V2 Accura today and that is where I did the cut back to get better accuracy and noticed that the bullets did not fail to function as a good hunting bullet should. Plus, they didn't tend to gernade on bone. The longest shot I ever took with any gun using the XTP bullets was about 80 yards, but that shot came with a jacked up load and a 250 grain XTP that hit smack on the cenbter of the shoulder of an average sized buck. I had to toss that shoulder after a lengthy tracking job because the bullet's energy went into demolishing that shoulder and never went any further.

Pellets, granular...it matters little. More is not always better when it comes to charge size and velocity. Some bullets just don't like to operate at hyper velocity, but it's hard to get that thru heads at times. If one is going to focus on 150 to 250 yard shots, maybe the heavier charge is warranted, but then that'll nix pretty much any shot under the 150 yards if they want the bullet to work right. XTP, SST, makes no difference. They have parameters around where they function properly. Learn them. Load accordingly.

Hunt was a success!! good woodsmanship, tacking ,etc. frequently comes in to play.
you need to chronograph this load. velocity may be less that you think.
Also consider the nosler 45 cal partition, speer .458 300 grain amd the barnes EZ-ex[pander.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back