Stainless Nitride coated barrel and rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Has anyone had a Nitride coated barrel rust? I'm new to muzzleloading and I'm pretty paranoid about barrel rust, I would imagine these barrels are fairly bomb proof but I would be interested to hear others experiences.

I have a new CVA Wolf, nitride barrel and breech plug. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I would imagine that if not cared for properly, it would rust.

Whether or not stainless will rust depends on the quality of the stainless, they aren’t all created equal. If the nitride gets compromised, and I don’t know how likely that is, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the SS rust.

Last edited:
I have had a nitride stainless CVA Accura for a few years since they first introduced them. I keep mine loaded while hunting using BH 209. I fire and clean at end of season. If I shoot a deer I reload to be ready to fill another tag and leave till done for the season which runs 16 days. Clean at the end and my gun still looks as good as day I bought it. I get it out every so often throughout off season and do a little maintenance and check for ay signs of rust but never had an issue.

ALL stainless steel will rust as it is substantially only "rust resistant" and not truly "rust proof."

ALL stainless steel will rust as it is substantially only "rust resistant" and not truly "rust proof."
Well its not called rust proof....its called STAIN LESS as in it stains less than chromoly. :p Most barrels are made from 416 and there are more rust resistant stainless steels such as 17-4 but its way harder to machine.

Latest posts

Back