Swarovski's new Laser guides

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super 91

Reaction score
Anybody else out there tried a set yet? I did and although they are top notch in a lot of things, I didn't like them very much. Quality? First rate on the optics, the laser worked very well in all kinds of conditions, but there were things I didn't like about them.

One is they were bulkier than I thought they would be. They spec'd out to be a tad smaller than the Leica's, but in reality they were just a touch bigger. Like I said, the optical quality of the monocular was first rate, and you could easily get by without carrying separate binos if you had these along, although I wouldn't do that personally. My biggest gripe with the things was the laser readout. The little round target aquisition guide was fine, but what got me was the way it looked grainy and in low light, you could "see" the while electronics "grid" inside the viewfinder. It wasn't so bad you couldn't see through this, but it was very distracting at times. I thought the laser to be very accurate, but much slower than the Leica's I used to have. The scan feature worked very well, and it was nice to be able to attach bino straps to the unit. They also gave you this cool protective case to carry it in, and a rubber cup to go over the eye piece keeping it clean and debris free. One other thing that was extremely distracting was the unit has a feature that in low light it shines just a little so that it is easy on your eyes and is not so bright. The problem was that in bright light, it was supposed to shine bright so you could read the display. Well, several times in bright light the unit was stuck in low light mode and I couldn't read the display quickly. If I lasered the object again most time it would read brighter but not always.

So my review may be somewhat biased or off, but I sent this pair back to the company I bought them from as they offered a 30 day satisfaction guarentee, and I had a 1/2 hour left on that when I mailed it back. I am going to upgrade from the Leica 800 I did have before someone thought they needed them worse than I did, to the 1200 scan model. If I could convince myself to get crazy enough, I would put the dinero down for the Leica Geovid 10x42 laser binos, but choking down $1750.00 is still a bit much for me right now.

I am going on another Elk bow hunt this Fall and I am gearig up now. Good binos are a must, lasers sure help you learn the terrain out West, and a good GPS is the next thing on my list. But the Swarovskis still have a way to go to beat the Leica's in my opinion.

Most assuredly!! I am a Super product tester, but my problem is I seem to have to pay to test the danged things!!! I gotta get some tips from you on "how to test for free"....... :wink:

Super 91 said:
Most assuredly!! I am a Super product tester, but my problem is I seem to have to pay to test the danged things!!! I gotta get some tips from you on "how to test for free"....... :wink:

In the perfect world of course. 8)

For the money the leicas are hard to beat. I own a pair of Swarovski 10x42 ELs and a STS20-60x65 swarovski spotting scope and their optics are hands down the best. I have not used a swarovski range finder in the field but have looked through them, Optics were swarovski quality, (the best) but I did not like how bulkey they felt compaired to my leica LRF 900. The only draw back to the leicas is that stupid neck strap that they come with. I bought the Cabelas neoprene rangefinder case for mine that protects it and allows you to use a bino system if you wish. The case is almost a must have for the leicas. IMO

Laker

Yep, I agree. My Leicas were extremely fast, and I never had a problem getting a reading. I ordered the 1200 scans in my return, but I am getting a little extra unexpected money in so I am going to go ahead and go crazy and get the Geovid laser binos. I already plopped the dinero down on the Swarovskis, so that money can go toward them, and I am getting another $650 unexpectedly, so that put's me at $1450.00. The Geovids sell for $1750 so $300 more and I'm there. If I don't like them, Eagle Optics where I bought my Swarovskis gives you a 30 day satisfaction return policy, so I could just send them back and opt for the 1200 scans if the Geovids are not all they are supposed to be.

Anybody ever look through a set of the Geovid laser binos? I know the Leica glass is excellent, I just wonder if they use the same electronics for the binos as they do the regular rangefinders. I hope so.

$1750 , $1450.00, $1750.00, $650, $1750 so $300

Holy Cow!! You guys sure like your optics!!!! Those big #'s are giving me chest pains!! :shock:

I have a LRF 1200 and love it! I had a hard enough time with that purchase.. :cry:

Keep us posted... I gotta take my nitro!! :D

Yeah, I was just commenting on the fact that I doubted I would ever own a pair of Geovids, but I ani't going to let $300 keep me out of trying a set. I know it's crazy, but since I got my first good pair of binos, I know that you can sacrifice a lot of things, but good glass ain't one of them!!! I'll post a report once I get a set in. It might be a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to it!

I agree with you super 91, when you hunt out west there is just no room for cheap optics. I paid full price for the swarovski 10x42 ELs but I made a hell of a buy on the 1500.00 dollar spotting scope when my local bass pro shop mismarked the spotter for 799.99. I just could not pass that up. I was going to buy one of the spotters sometime but when I saw it for that price why wait. Im glad I did...

Just kidding a little guys.. You guys aren't crazy... ....errr I don't think !

Anyhow,

Seems every year my paradigm changes on optics and what I am willing to pay! .... maybe some day?

JJ

Super 91 said:
Most assuredly!! I am a Super product tester, but my problem is I seem to have to pay to test the danged things!!! I gotta get some tips from you

Doesn't sound like it to me. What are you talking about? Looks like you just did. Were you expecting more than a 100% refund? :roll:

I'm the guy that needs tips from you! :shock:

RandyWakeman said:
Super 91 said:
Most assuredly!! I am a Super product tester, but my problem is I seem to have to pay to test the danged things!!! I gotta get some tips from you

Doesn't sound like it to me. What are you talking about? Looks like you just did. Were you expecting more than a 100% refund? :roll:

I'm the guy that needs tips from you! :shock:

Yep, as long as I can safely test the product in the 30 day time frame, I could in effect test them all!!! But I'm not like that. If it is all that it's hyped up to be, and is of good quality, then it becames a part of my gear that sticks with me. So product test I will, but only till I get first quality gear that I enjoy using..... 8)

Just bought a pair of binocs from Midway USA that arrived yesterday to do a review-- apparently, my credit card company does not QUITE understand that concept. :shock:

Including the last $1000 of bullets I bought from them-- credit card company just doesn't get it. :? Have to work on that.

RandyWakeman said:
Just bought a pair of binocs from Midway USA that arrived yesterday to do a review-- apparently, my credit card company does not QUITE understand that concept. :shock:

Including the last $1000 of bullets I bought from them-- credit card company just doesn't get it. :? Have to work on that.

Yep, they sure don't understand that at all, do they? I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that do that sort of thing.

I bought a pair of Geovids for a customer back when I had an FFL. He was kind enough to let me use them many times. They are without a doubt excellent in all regards. Congrats on your purchase Super 91.

Rifleman said:
I bought a pair of Geovids for a customer back when I had an FFL. He was kind enough to let me use them many times. They are without a doubt excellent in all regards. Congrats on your purchase Super 91.

Are the Geovids based on the Ultravids? I did a good bit of research on them but still don't know what model they compare to. I'm sure they are good glass, I just wondered if they went to the magnesium/titanium frame construction to lighten the load. 32 oz. ain't exactly light, especially when you are used to toting around 15 oz. Zeiss Diafuns. I know the Zeiss Diafuns aren't on the "upper end", but for the money I think they are excellent binos.

Super91, What's the name of the strap you were using in Crossville to carry your Binos on your chest? I really would like to get one of those. Can you send me a link or a name. Thanks :)

Grouse Im not super 91 but I bet it was the Bino system from Crooked Horn Outfitters. Works like a charm and dose not fatigue your neck like standard straps.. Laker

Latest posts

Back