Swiss powder vs. 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
I just read an article in Black Powder Hunting magazine that compared powders. It compared 65 grains (by volume) in a .50 cal Lyman Great plains rifle and a patched round ball. The highest average velocity was with Swiss black powder at 1638 vs. 1518 with 777. Also the swiss had the 2nd best accuracy of the 6 powders tested. Do you think that the velocity difference was do to this not being a 209 in-line ignition system or would Swiss powder actually producing higher velocities in my Encore? I know that I could test it myself but I thought someone here might have some experience with this.

Not much chance at all. Swiss may be the best and hottest BP out there (I think Super 91 stuck a breechplug with it?) but you wont touch T 7 velocities. You'll run out of sabot or barrel before anything else.

If velocity alone is what you want, you won't beat three Pyrodex pellets easily.

I admit I am not any kind of expert on balistics. In fact I envy those that study the art of bullet flight. They have a lot of excellent information that everyone benifits from. I guess I concern myself with accuracy. I figure if I have a large enough charge so as to not under power the load, the accuracy will take care of the rest. Granted I do not mean to be shooting 50 grains at an elk or moose, but I seldom shoot over 120 grains of anything or any kind of powder.

I have done a lot of shooting. I have been shooting Swiss 3f out of inlines. They include a T/C Black Diamond XR and a Knight Wolverine II. I must say of all the powders I have shot, this Swiss powder ranks right up there with accuracy. I load it like I would load Triple Se7en. I was shooting some 460 grain No Excuse Conicals out of the Black Diamond XR with 80 grains of Swiss and the accuracy was exceptional. I then did a real good job of swabbing and tried the same load with Triple Se7en FFg. You would never want to live on the difference.

I shoot a lot of black powder. Goex and Swiss are great powders. Next time I want to try some of the Graf and Sons I believe it is made by Wano Powder Co. I have heard it is a good powder with good results to it.

I read the same article. If you dont get a crud ring with 777 I would stay with it.. If you did, I would try something else like APP or Goex.

It compared 65 grains (by volume) in a .50 cal Lyman Great plains rifle and a patched round ball. The highest average velocity was with Swiss black powder at 1638 vs. 1518 with 777.

There's your key right there. A .490 round ball weighs 177gr with very little bearing surface. I guarantee a higher precentage of black powder burned with that load compared to Triple Se7en. Move up to a saboted 250gr bullet and everything changes.

Back