LabRadar data for BH209 with 300gr Hornady SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I recently picked up a LabRadar Lite unit, mostly for use with my centerfire rifle load development. I was checking the zero on my Accura MR this past weekend, so I decided to try out the LabRadar.

In the past I used an optical chronograph, but I had avoided using the optical with a sabot firing ML due to (possibly overblown) concerns of chrono impact with the sabot. This was the first velocity data I had obtained for this ML using BH209. I thought I'd share it as a data point and possibly for general interest.

The muzzleloader is an Accura MR nitride, with a Lehigh Defense breech plug/vent liner combination.

The load is 110 gr volume equivalent of BH209. The loads were pre-measured by the weight equivalent, using a Lee Precision powder throw and then a Redding trickler to fine tune the last few kernels to provide a consistent weight.

Projectile was a 300 gr Hornday SST ML bullet with a MMP HPH24 black sabot.

I fired 6 shots, and here's the LabRadar data:

Stats - Average1,782fpsBC - Avg
0.256​
Stats - Highest1,798fpsBC - High
0.257​
Stats - Lowest1,774fpsBC - Low
0.253​
Stats - Ext. Spread24fpsBC - ES
0.004​
Stats - Std. Dev9fpsBC - StDev
0.002​

1782 fps muzzle velocity was less than I had expected, based on the data Western Powder published for BH209 in muzzle loaders. Of course I never knew the barrel length Western used. But the load was consistent , with a single digit SD.

Since LabRadar can also calculate the BC of a projectile, the calculated G1 BC average of .256 compared reasonably well to the Hornady published value of .250.

I forgot to add I was using CCI 209M primers.

I can't comment on accuracy. Typically, this load will shoot 3 rounds at 100 yards that are very close, if not touching. However, I ended my range session because I believe my Nikon Prostaff 5 scope died.

I lost the ability to adjust windage consistently, meaning dialing 3 MOA of windage change resulted in 6 to 7 MOA shift on the POI, and then the POI shifted more under recoil without me dialing anything. In my past experience this sort of change has usually indicated a scope has a problem with the internal mechanism.

I recently picked up a LabRadar Lite unit, mostly for use with my centerfire rifle load development. I was checking the zero on my Accura MR this past weekend, so I decided to try out the LabRadar.

In the past I used an optical chronograph, but I had avoided using the optical with a sabot firing ML due to (possibly overblown) concerns of chrono impact with the sabot. This was the first velocity data I had obtained for this ML using BH209. I thought I'd share it as a data point and possibly for general interest.

The muzzleloader is an Accura MR nitride, with a Lehigh Defense breech plug/vent liner combination.

The load is 110 gr volume equivalent of BH209. The loads were pre-measured by the weight equivalent, using a Lee Precision powder throw and then a Redding trickler to fine tune the last few kernels to provide a consistent weight.

Projectile was a 300 gr Hornday SST ML bullet with a MMP HPH24 black sabot.

I fired 6 shots, and here's the LabRadar data:

Stats - Average1,782fpsBC - Avg
0.256​
Stats - Highest1,798fpsBC - High
0.257​
Stats - Lowest1,774fpsBC - Low
0.253​
Stats - Ext. Spread24fpsBC - ES
0.004​
Stats - Std. Dev9fpsBC - StDev
0.002​

1782 fps muzzle velocity was less than I had expected, based on the data Western Powder published for BH209 in muzzle loaders. Of course I never knew the barrel length Western used. But the load was consistent , with a single digit SD.

Since LabRadar can also calculate the BC of a projectile, the calculated G1 BC average of .256 compared reasonably well to the Hornady published value of .250.
Those speeds do seem a bit slow to me as well. I am curious what was the weight of your charges?
I know depending on the lot of powder, this will vary the actual weight of 110 by volume. I shoot this same load out of my LHR with 76 gr. by weight and get around 1900 fps.

I can't comment on accuracy. Typically, this load will shoot 3 rounds at 100 yards that are very close, if not touching. However, I ended my range session because I believe my Nikon Prostaff 5 scope died.

I lost the ability to adjust windage consistently, meaning dialing 3 MOA of windage change resulted in 6 to 7 MOA shift on the POI, and then the POI shifted more under recoil without me dialing anything. In my past experience this sort of change has usually indicated a scope has a problem with the internal mechanism.
I just recently experienced this same problem with a GPO Passion 3x9 on my Woodman Patriot.

Those speeds do seem a bit slow to me as well. I am curious what was the weight of your charges?
I know depending on the lot of powder, this will vary the actual weight of 110 by volume. I shoot this same load out of my LHR with 76 gr. by weight and get around 1900 fps.
77 gr by weight. The MR does have a shorter, 25" barrel.

I just recently experienced this same problem with a GPO Passion 3x9 on my Woodman Patriot.

That's a nice optic to see problems with holding zero.

I pulled apart my scope mount during lunch today (perks of working from home) and I found the mount had a couple of screws that clearly weren't at the proper torque due to how easily they moved.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was the CVA mount was loose.

I'd been considering trying another mount, so I have a EGW CVA picatinny rail inbound.

I'm still not going to trust the Nikon for hunting season. I will mount the Prostaff on an accurate .22 rifle and shoot a box test, just to test if the tracking works.

As does my 24" LHR
I was thinking you were shooting one of the 30" longer barrels. That makes me wonder if there's something with the LabRadar and the relatively slow shots from a ML.

In the past, if I needed to tweak some settings in the LabRadar it simply wouldn't register until it was resolved. Next time I shoot I'll see if I need to change some settings.

Yep, it sure sounds like an internal catastrophic failure in the scope. I've had 2) 200.00 neighborhood scopes fail internally on .50 inlines, not on a lead sled either. I shoot primarily a sabot load in my Accura V2 .45 & I use a chrony on a 25' tether to my cell phone. My LBCR's all fall like they were hand dropped at about-12' from the muzzle. I set my chrony up at 20' from my muzzle. Never a prob with sabot impacts or screwing up any chrony readings.

I get almost exactly the same thing from my 45 accura lr. Sabots all drop in a line in front of my bench. Kinda weird. Other guns are more spread out
Yes, it is a lil weird, but pretty dang cool at the uniformity of them all. I do not remember any of my other inlines I've shot sabots out of ever had anything close to that same uniformity as the LCBR's do out of this Accura. When " consistency" " matters " it doesn't get any more consistent than what I've been seeing with this gun & sabot load.

WOW really....... I'm a huge fan of the GPO optics. I have been dreaming & drooling over a cpl of them ( 1) Passion series & 1 Spectra series ) for the last cpl yrs now.
I am too, this is a great scope I really want to Love, and to their credit they sent me a new one within a week. I had let them know I had an elk hunt coming up and they wanted me to have a scope for that.

But, I need to know that if I put the new one on the Patriot, it won’t just happen again. I‘m hoping to hear back from them what the cause of the failure was? We will see I guess but too late for this year.

With the cost and scarcity of BH209, and I don’t have time Or $$ to vett the new one before my hunt starts. I guess I will be pulling a Leupold off another rifle for now?

Latest posts

Back