LabRadar data for BH209 with 300gr Hornady SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you keep using your LabRadar as I’ve enjoyed mine for quite a few years..especially since I make my own bullets.

Your 1782 velocity is very close to BH209 published data for a 300gr SST & 110grV.

Sorry about the scope issue- that stinks.
Good luck.

I am too, this is a great scope I really want to Love, and to their credit they sent me a new one within a week. I had let them know I had an elk hunt coming up and they wanted me to have a scope for that.

But, I need to know that if I put the new one on the Patriot, it won’t just happen again. I‘m hoping to hear back from them what the cause of the failure was? We will see I guess but too late for this year.

With the cost and scarcity of BH209, and I don’t have time Or $$ to vett the new one before my hunt starts. I guess I will be pulling a Leupold off another rifle for now?
Well its nice to hear that GPO has really good Cust serv, I'm sorry that you had issues with your scope. I hope that it doesn't happen again too. I respect & agree with you, I won't hunt with anything I'm unfamiliar with or don't have every confidence in either. I'm glad to hear you have a quality scope you can slap on & dial in to make your hunt. I'd like to hear updates on the new GPO. Good luck on your hunt.

I forgot to add I was using CCI 209M primers.

I can't comment on accuracy. Typically, this load will shoot 3 rounds at 100 yards that are very close, if not touching. However, I ended my range session because I believe my Nikon Prostaff 5 scope died.

I lost the ability to adjust windage consistently, meaning dialing 3 MOA of windage change resulted in 6 to 7 MOA shift on the POI, and then the POI shifted more under recoil without me dialing anything. In my past experience this sort of change has usually indicated a scope has a problem with the internal mechanism.
Just zeroed a CVA Accura with a Prostaff scope for my friend's boy over the weekend- was getting erratic groups. Checked all the screws and sure enough they were loose. Once I tightened everything up to spec the gun was firing 3/4 inch groups at 100 yrds using 2 50 gr pellets of triple seven, with a 270gr Platinum Powerbelt.

Last edited:
Those speeds do seem a bit slow to me as well. I am curious what was the weight of your charges?
I know depending on the lot of powder, this will vary the actual weight of 110 by volume. I shoot this same load out of my LHR with 76 gr. by weight and get around 1900 fps.
I get 1850 from my Mountaineer using 80 GBW BH209 and 300 gr Scorpion Gold PT

I forgot to update this - it wasn’t my Prostaff 5, it was the Durasight mount on my CVA. When I pulled the scope off I discovered the Durasight mount was loose, and when I removed it I could clearly see wear marks to show it had been shifting for a while.

I replaced the Durasight with an EGW Picatinny base and Warne rings.

I mounted the Prostaff 5 on a centerfire rifle and using a known accurate load from that rifke, shot a box test with the Prostaff 5, which passed.

I recently picked up a LabRadar Lite unit, mostly for use with my centerfire rifle load development. I was checking the zero on my Accura MR this past weekend, so I decided to try out the LabRadar.

In the past I used an optical chronograph, but I had avoided using the optical with a sabot firing ML due to (possibly overblown) concerns of chrono impact with the sabot. This was the first velocity data I had obtained for this ML using BH209. I thought I'd share it as a data point and possibly for general interest.

The muzzleloader is an Accura MR nitride, with a Lehigh Defense breech plug/vent liner combination.

The load is 110 gr volume equivalent of BH209. The loads were pre-measured by the weight equivalent, using a Lee Precision powder throw and then a Redding trickler to fine tune the last few kernels to provide a consistent weight.

Projectile was a 300 gr Hornday SST ML bullet with a MMP HPH24 black sabot.

I fired 6 shots, and here's the LabRadar data:

Stats - Average1,782fpsBC - Avg
0.256​
Stats - Highest1,798fpsBC - High
0.257​
Stats - Lowest1,774fpsBC - Low
0.253​
Stats - Ext. Spread24fpsBC - ES
0.004​
Stats - Std. Dev9fpsBC - StDev
0.002​

1782 fps muzzle velocity was less than I had expected, based on the data Western Powder published for BH209 in muzzle loaders. Of course I never knew the barrel length Western used. But the load was consistent , with a single digit SD.

Since LabRadar can also calculate the BC of a projectile, the calculated G1 BC average of .256 compared reasonably well to the Hornady published value of .250.
Interesting. I shoot 110gr bh with a 300gr SST IN THE RED EZ-load sabot out of my traditions pursuit. When i chrono’d the load with my basic chronograph i was getting around 1826to 1875 from what i remember. Been. Couple years. I really like the 300gr bullet. I used to shoot the 250 and while they did kill deer, they seemed to fragment bad. Killed the deer so not a major concern, but i hunt open fields so i like the idea of alittle bit higher b.c.

Interesting. I shoot 110gr bh with a 300gr SST IN THE RED EZ-load sabot out of my traditions pursuit. When i chrono’d the load with my basic chronograph i was getting around 1826to 1875 from what i remember. Been. Couple years. I really like the 300gr bullet. I used to shoot the 250 and while they did kill deer, they seemed to fragment bad. Killed the deer so not a major concern, but i hunt open fields so i like the idea of alittle bit higher b.c.
Oh yeah cci 209m as well.

Latest posts

Back