T/C Encore Trigger / Action Job?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowler1

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased a T/C Encore 50 cal. I have wanted one for a long time. I have not shot it yet, but have dry fired it and measured the trigger weight. It's pretty heavy at about 5 pounds I think. I also noticed that the hammer is significantly difficult to pull back which I find suprising. Mine has the hammer spur that can rotate to the right or left to prevent interference with a scope.

I have seen a couple of places online where they do action and trigger jobs for the TC. Can anyone recommend one to me? Which one do you think is the best route to go?

Also does the "action" job include smoothing out the hammer to enable easier cocking and perhaps the barrel latch as well which also seems a bit "stiff" to me when I open the bore.

thanks

Matt

I also noticed that the hammer is significantly difficult to pull back which I find suprising
Is it the original Encore that can use centerfire rifle barrels?

My Encore was purchased in 05 or 06. i also bought several centerfire barrels. Sighted in the scoped muzzleloader barrel at the range and then installed the .30-06 barrel. The gunsmith at the next bench said i would probably have a misfire.

Gunsmith was right, the hammer spring was too weak to fire center fire primers. Gunsmith said to call Bellms and get a stronger hammer spring and some other springs. i installed the Bellms hammer spring and never had another misfire.

If the gun is used someone probably installed the stronger hammer spring. Bellms built a business around fixing Contender and Encore problems. But the trigger on mine broke like glass at three pounds since day one.

Yes, mine is the original Encore that can take centerfire barrels as well. I can pull the hammer back, but it actually requires me to use both thumbs to do it. So it's really stiff. Just not sure if that was "right" or not. I certainly would not hunt with it in the uncocked mode.

Yes, Bellm is the one that I have come across several times in my internet searches.

The trigger on the gun is nice and crisp I do have to say despite the heavy pull.

Yes, mine is the original Encore that can take centerfire barrels as well. I can pull the hammer back, but it actually requires me to use both thumbs to do it. So it's really stiff. Just not sure if that was "right" or not. I certainly would not hunt with it in the uncocked mode.

Yes, Bellm is the one that I have come across several times in my internet searches.

The trigger on the gun is nice and crisp I do have to say despite the heavy pull.
I don’t know what he charges now, but in my opinion, whatever it is would be money well spent.

if you got the patience and a bit of skill you can do it your self
I did two of mine and the trigger on one is really light, don't know how much but it's lighter that when I started
It's just a matter of replacing a few springs and disassembling your action
it is not all that complicated

I will probably go the Bellm route. I imagine that his action job includes honing and polishing contact surfaces. I think I saw the price at something like $130 which seems very reasonable.

I printed out the Bellm's instructions and did my own. When I brought my frame from his son, Kurt. I got the spring kit. Polished all surfaces. Went from 6 lbs to a crisp 2.5 lbs.

I had mine polished by a local guy when I bought it new close to 20 years ago or whenever it was they started making them.Mine came out at 2.5lbs.Now that I have went smokeless I really appreciate the lite trigger.

I've done three Encore triggers, all successful. Bellm instructions are complete, accurate and easy to follow. One suggestion, purchase the modified needle nose pliers he sells, they make life much easier when installing the spring.

All of that said, and without reviewing the instructions, I suggest backing off the socket head cap screw that attaches the stock to the action. I recall a screw that is too long, or one installed without the washer can interfere with the hammer spring, thus making cocking difficult. I may well be wrong, but I'd loosen the screw and see if it makes a difference. If so, shortening the screw is a simple fix.

Frosty

I've done three Encore triggers, all successful. Bellm instructions are complete, accurate and easy to follow. One suggestion, purchase the modified needle nose pliers he sells, they make life much easier when installing the spring.

All of that said, and without reviewing the instructions, I suggest backing off the socket head cap screw that attaches the stock to the action. I recall a screw that is too long, or one installed without the washer can interfere with the hammer spring, thus making cocking difficult. I may well be wrong, but I'd loosen the screw and see if it makes a difference. If so, shortening the screw is a simple fix.

Frosty
Tightness or legth definitely on hammer screw definitely comes into play. I watched his videos recently when I had mine broke down, cleaning it.Belm and other talk about how hard it is the put that spring in.I didn't have any issue, pretty simple.

I did not realize that they should not be dry fired. I have always understood that dry firing does not hurt a gun, but perhaps the Encore is an exception. I will definitely stop doing that with the Encore.

Also I have to correct my comment above about having to pull the hammer back with two thumbs. I figured out what the deal was there. I was trying to cock the hammer without first breaking open and then shutting the barrel.
It's still pretty stiff and a lot stiffer than I would have imagined compared to hammers on all the revolvers I have owned in the past.

Matt

EABCO---that's the company I was thinking of for the action job. I stand corrected. They offer a service where you send in your action to them and they perform the work and send it back to you. I think it's $130 for the service. That's a pretty reasonable price. Has anyone heard anything about this company's action job service?

thanks
matt

I sent it off to EABCO today (E. Arthur Brown Company). I think it was $96 for them to do an action and trigger job on it, shipping only the action itself. They claim they get it to about 3 pounds using factory springs. Will see how it goes. I told them to try to get it to 2.5 pounds which is my preferred weight.

I will report back when I get it back from them!

Matt

I used two M Carbo kits in my Encore’s. Both came out crisp 2.5#. They have a great installation video on U tube
I bought one and installed it on one of my Encore frames. It was so easy to install while watching the video. Crisp, light trigger now. Best $29.95 I ever spent. I recently purchased another trigger spring kit for one of my other Encores.
M Carbo was having a Memorial Day sale.
I highly recommend them.

Latest posts

Back