T/C Renegade vs New Englander

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been mulling over getting a traditional. I have owned them in the past. Shoot inlines as I`ve aged but I should have at least one in my stable. I have been considering the 2 above mentioned. The New Englander in lighter which is a plus but i have a hard time with that round barrel. Is there really that much difference in handling? Then the barrel twist comes into question. My old hawken did a real nice group with 1/66 round ball. They certainly go for a good buck now but thats to be expected seeing there are not any t/c traditionals being made. Maybe a .50 in round ball would be some fun. Just pondering.

I loved TCs White Mntn Carbine. Shorter barrel, midrange twist for bullets and balls, and an octagon-to-round barrel so you can have it both ways. Also some faster twist versions i believe. I had a .45 and foolishly sold it. I'd get another one. I would someday like to get a Seneca or New Englander.

What don't you like about the round barrel ?

Hawken came with a standard 1:48 twist barrel unless you had one that actually was stamped "Round Ball Twist" which actually is a 1:66 twist.

Although I don't own a TC, I do shoot patched round ball from my rifles and pistols, the exception being my Optima pistol.
A patched ball is a lot more accurate than I thought at first but not so.
I think you'd enjoy getting back into it.

Although I don't own a TC, I do shoot patched round ball from my rifles and pistols, the exception being my Optima pistol.
A patched ball is a lot more accurate than I thought at first but not so.
I think you'd enjoy getting back into it.
Off topic but give tha pistol a try with a patched round ball ,I did and super accurate and zip for recoil 40-60 gr OE 2F 490 lee/cci 209/.012 mattress ticking /bear oil and over powder wad(felt) and squeeze the bear gently /Ed

Last edited:
Off topic but give tha pistol a try with a patched round ball ,I did and super accurate and zip for recoil 40-60 gr OE 2F 490 lee/cci 209/.012 mattress ticking /bear oil and over powder wad(felt) and squeeze the bear gently /Ed
You know, I thought about doing just that but hadn't gotten around to trying. I sure will though next chance I get.

Of the 2 Rifles you mention the choice would be simple for me, I would get a “Set Trigger“ Model TC Renegade, The TC New Englander is nowhere near the League of the Renegade & Hawken. I own a TC New Englander, It was a Gift to me from my Dad, and where i Started in Muzzleloading. The New Englander was TC’s “Meat & Potatoes“ Rifle. The Trigger Pull is HORRIBLE at best (I do have a Tutorial here on making them better, But it’s NOT a Job for everyone) The New Englander also has a “Beak” Built in the Tang that Covers the Lock, You have to Remove the Tang in order to Remove the Lock (I have a Modification Around that as well)

In short, The TC New Englander (Along with several other Variants of it) are Decent Rifles, and can be tinkered with to make them Better, But they are NOWHERE Near the same League of Rifle as the Hawken & Renegades

The one thing I would AVOID like the PLAGUE with whichever rifle you choose, is ANY form of a QLA Muzzle, They are JUNK in my opinion, unless I could get it for Scrap Metal price, and wanted it for a Yard Ornament

The one thing I would AVOID like the PLAGUE with whichever rifle you choose, is ANY form of a QLA Muzzle, They are JUNK in my opinion, unless I could get it for Scrap Metal price, and wanted it for a Yard Ornament
Pretty harsh on the QLA there Lewis? I have an Omega 50 cal with the QLA and it shoots great. What seems to be the issue?

Pretty harsh on the QLA there Lewis? I have an Omega 50 cal with the QLA and it shoots great. What seems to be the issue?

If you get 1 that shoots Conicals Good, Feel BLESSED! Because MANY do not. The Problem is very well Known, and spoke of FREQUENTLY here, a quick search here in the Search Bar above on TC’s QLA Muzzles will Yield a TON of Reading about them

I am VERY HARSH on TC’s QLA Muzzles, I have had 3 of their Sidelock Barrels over the years that had their QLA Muzzle and not 1 of them Shot worth a Hoot. The worst shooting i have ever seen in my Life were with those 3 Barrels. The problem is some were Bored off center (TC’s Manufacturing process) And the problem was with Full Bore Conical Bullets. TC’s Answer to ALL of the Problems with their QLA Muzzles? “They were designed to shoot Sabots” :D

Here is 1 of MANY Threads
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/qla-ballistic-bridge-sub-base.35947/

Last edited:
If you get 1 that shoots Conicals Good, Feel BLESSED! Because MANY do not. The Problem is very well Known, and spoke of FREQUENTLY here, a quick search here in the Search Bar above on TC’s QLA Muzzles will Yield a TON of Reading about them

I am VERY HARSH on TC’s QLA Muzzles, I have had 3 of their Sidelock Barrels over the years that had their QLA Muzzle and not 1 of them Shot worth a Hoot. The worst shooting i have ever seen in my Life were with those 3 Barrels. The problem is some were Bored off center (TC’s Manufacturing process) And the problem was with Full Bore Conical Bullets. TC’s Answer to ALL of the Problems with their QLA Muzzles? “They were designed to shoot Sabots” :D

Here is 1 of MANY Threads
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/qla-ballistic-bridge-sub-base.35947/
Well I guess I'm just a "lucky man". Funny though my best friend Steve has an Encore .50 with QLA, and his shoots just as well? I guess we will just have to keep hunting with our "junk" barrels and keep killing

Well I guess I'm just a "lucky man". Funny though my best friend Steve has an Encore .50 with QLA, and his shoots just as well? I guess we will just have to keep hunting with our "junk" barrels and keep killing

There ya go. If the shoe Fits? Wear it :lewis:

I have seen enough CRAP from TC’s QLA to last me a Lifetime, Their will NEVER be another TC QLA Muzzled Barrel in my Home, not even if it were Free

Latest posts

Back