T/C Renegade vs New Englander

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will mention that my Omega with QLA was one of the "early" ones. I bought it when I lived in NH near the T/C factory.
Maybe when S&W bought them the quality changed. I have only shot it with CVA Powerbelts and T7 pellets. Never needed to try anything else.
Mostly hunt with a .54 Renegade now and patched RB.
I don't doubt that anyone might have had a bad experience with the QLA, but mine and my friends just seem to shoot great. Two years ago I was invited to hunt a shotgun only State. I chose to take my Omega because it shot so well.
Did not take a deer, but thats not the guns fault.

I will mention that my Omega with QLA was one of the "early" ones. I bought it when I lived in NH near the T/C factory.
Maybe when S&W bought them the quality changed. I have only shot it with CVA Powerbelts and T7 pellets. Never needed to try anything else.
Mostly hunt with a .54 Renegade now and patched RB.
I don't doubt that anyone might have had a bad experience with the QLA, but mine and my friends just seem to shoot great. Two years ago I was invited to hunt a shotgun only State. I chose to take my Omega because it shot so well.
Did not take a deer, but thats not the guns fault.

Like i said, some have had good luck with them, and like them. But MANY Have had problems, and either got Rid of the Rifle, or had the QLA Cut off and Muzzle Re-Crowned. TC themselves knew it was a Problem, this is why they said they were designed to shoot Sabots

Again you are correct Lewis. Thats why I come to this forum. I was lucky that my QLA seems to have been cut square with the barrel. I never knew of all the problem ones. What a shame on T/C.
I would bet most of the "bad" ones were produced when S/W purchased the company and moved it to Mass. I knew some employees at T/C, and many refused to make the move. Maybe they had poor training or just didn't care!
Look what happened to Marlin when Remington bought them..
Again thanks for the info, and keep them video's coming, love them all.

I believe the issue existed long before S&W came on the sceen . T/C used that QLA on just about all their muzzleloaders in the mid 90's.

Again you are correct Lewis. Thats why I come to this forum. I was lucky that my QLA seems to have been cut square with the barrel. I never knew of all the problem ones. What a shame on T/C.
I would bet most of the "bad" ones were produced when S/W purchased the company and moved it to Mass. I knew some employees at T/C, and many refused to make the move. Maybe they had poor training or just didn't care!
Look what happened to Marlin when Remington bought them..
Again thanks for the info, and keep them video's coming, love them all.

It’s good to see you here @rusticbob :lewis: Welcome to the Modern Muzzleloader Forum! I hang out here pretty much exclusively.

The Guy’s that have TC’s with QLA Muzzles that work well REALLY like them, and i can see why, They are darn nice to Start a Bullet in :lewis:

The first one i seen go nuts was a TC Hawken in .54 Cal (I had a .50 as well that did the same thing)
i was using an over powder Wad as i always do to Seal Gasses, and protect the Lead Bullet Base. At 60 to 80 Yards my Group was 2-3 FEET That’s no joke! One bullet hit the Ground, Bounced up and Busted my Target Frame, I couldn’t believe what i was seeing??
I had a TC New Englander with QLA, It wasn’t as Bad, But it never did Shoot Great, Patched Roundball was the best i did with it. This Rifle was a Gift from my Dad, So i would never get rid of it no matter how much i disliked it. I ended up finding a Brand new unfired TC New Englander in a Pawn Shop that did NOT have a QLA Muzzle, I bought that Rifle, When i got home with it, i swapped out the Barrels, and then later Sold the Pawn Shop Rifle with my Old QLA Muzzle Barrel

The problem that i speak of with the QLA Muzzles that i had hands on Experience with was GREATLY Magnified when using an Over Powder Wad, ESPECIALLY the Hard Card type Wads. But I believe so strongly in the use of Wads to Seal Gasses and Protect my Bullet Bases that I wouldn’t Budge and Quit using them, i knew that my UN QLA Muzzled Rifles shot INCREDIBLE with Over Powder Wads, it was an isolated QLA Muzzle Thing

Anyway, That is why i am so down on the QLA Rifles, and advise STRONGLY against them to new Folks, Or at least explain my hands on experiences with them, using My Full bore Conicals and over powder Wads. I hear the QLA Muzzle TC Rifles Shoot Sabots well? But i am not a Sabot guy, I never have been interested in those Plastic things

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back