T.C. with QLA will not group with conicals.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacks Grampa

Reaction score
I'm seeing non-saboted bullets with plastic bases on jacketed hollow points. Anyone tried them? Where I hunt sabots are illegal.

I have never got one to shoot accurately. I have a T/C Black Diamond w/QLA .50 mine does ok using conicals n prb. I use 70 gr Goex 3 f get a 2.5" - 3" groups at 75 yards with 175 gr prb. Use the 320 gr REAL bullets using 75 gr T7-2f get 3" groups at 125 yards. Shooting off a sand bag. I have not tried maxi-ball from it yet.

Was curious to see how the bullet would shoot in my favorite hunting rifle. The Omega Dream Season with a 28-twist barrel with the QLA intact. Scope is 1X. Load was 100 grain Blackhorn, and STS primer,

Made three shots at target out 75 yard

View attachment 37031

Should mention the bullet is the 340g 50 caliber Bore Driver ELDX

Last edited:
I finally cut mine off 20 yrs ago. The only bullets it would shoot halfway decent were powerbelts (with plastic base) and I don’t like shooting them at animals.

But what ElDiablo describes should basically do the same thing. And the sub bases are cheap. If that doesn’t work I would have the QLA removed.

I'm seeing non-saboted bullets with plastic bases on jacketed hollow points. Anyone tried them? Where I hunt sabots are illegal.

Yes, and they work good in my Omega rifles with the QLA intact. (see post #4). For me, for hunting there is no real need to cut the QLA off any more. One can shoot the the full bore bullets with skirts, or full bore bullets with the sub bases.

Back