TC Cougar Price Check

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some results i got from a Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade, Just like they came from the Factory years ago, These 1:48 Twist Rifles are VERY Capable! There are a Few IMPORTANT things you need to Know to get the most out of them, 1 being the Use of PURE Lead

Some Bullet accuracy testing the Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade

It shot SEVERAL Bullets this well, and even better. This was a 5 Shot Group @ 60 Yards

sbCh8jS.jpg

Testing the Bullet for Accuracy at 260 Yards

kK3cXlq.jpg

260 Yard Gong

So many people just expected 4-6” groups at a hundred yards from these rifles (due in part to the fat patridge sights so many shipped with) I wonder if inline sales would be the juggernaut that they are today if T/C had shipped them with fine hunting bead sights and appropriate rear sights? Of course it would help too if people would raise expectations. You’re doing a service emphasizing the importance of paying attention to details in loading and shooting these fine rifles!

So many people just expected 4-6” groups at a hundred yards from these rifles (due in part to the fat patridge sights so many shipped with) I wonder if inline sales would be the juggernaut that they are today if T/C had shipped them with fine hunting bead sights and appropriate rear sights? Of course it would help too if people would raise expectations. You’re doing a service emphasizing the importance of paying attention to details in loading and shooting these fine rifles!

Thank you @Bad Karma I often wonder the same thing? Bad marketing, and not getting them in the Hands of Guy’s that were capable, and Willing to push the Envelope. As I’ve shown OVER & OVER These Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders are VERY Capable Guns, In the right hands, and on the same playing field, They will hang with ANY inline Rifle made, And it’s my opinion that they look WAY Cool doing it :cool:

There is always this push that newer is better. Sure there are some that that like using these sidelocks but many consider them to be old fashioned. I don't remember TC offering small beed sights but they did offer a couple styles of peeps and also offered scope bases for these sidelocks if someone wanted to go that route. When companies like TC and Green Mountain quit offering a product that we like or have fond memories of is when we say " What if".

There is always this push that newer is better. Sure there are some that that like using these sidelocks but many consider them to be old fashioned. I don't remember TC offering small beed sights but they did offer a couple styles of peeps and also offered scope bases for these sidelocks if someone wanted to go that route. When companies like TC and Green Mountain quit offering a product that we like or have fond memories of is when we say " What if".
As near as I can recall T/C offered a bead sight but it was on the order of an express sized bead. Great for close quarters combat, not so much for fine accuracy...:cool:

We did a deer drive last Saturday and one of the guys was using a sidelock. My heart ached. I miss using my old sidelock. If my eyes were only better. I just cant get my eyes to line the sights up properly. Killed a boat load of deer with it. I just cant bring myself to put a scope on it. Just doesn't seem right.

I've been shooting a sidelock for years at my home range for fun but can honestly say this was the first year in about 35 that I hunted with one. When I first started hunting it was the only firearm I had but like others I thought " more modern" was the answer so I moved on to in lines and substitute powders. It was actually refreshing to hunt with a sidelock and real black powder again. Not giving up on in lines though, I like all these muzzleloaders.

We did a deer drive last Saturday and one of the guys was using a sidelock. My heart ached. I miss using my old sidelock. If my eyes were only better. I just cant get my eyes to line the sights up properly. Killed a boat load of deer with it. I just cant bring myself to put a scope on it. Just doesn't seem right.
I have a few side hammers with XS ghost ring sights on them. They work great for hunting and moving game.

Thank you @Bad Karma I often wonder the same thing? Bad marketing, and not getting them in the Hands of Guy’s that were capable, and Willing to push the Envelope. As I’ve shown OVER & OVER These Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders are VERY Capable Guns, In the right hands, and on the same playing field, They will hang with ANY inline Rifle made, And it’s my opinion that they look WAY Cool doing it :cool:
That old hunting video "Black powder Magic" by Roger Raglin shows him shooting lots of game at distance with a Renegade back in the day. He even talks about changing the sights.

Since I have a boat load of 209 primers due to being a shotgun reloader and no #11 caps, I opted for a Mag Spark 209 conversion on my Cougar, and it got here today and allowed me to finally shoot my rifle. I loaded up a 50 gr Pyrodex pellet and a 250 gr SST and rung my 50 yard gong with the first shot (as well as the other 5 I fired). I’m going to have fun playing with this gun! :lewis:

451, could you recommend a model for hunting please.
If you are mounting on the top flat of an octagon barrel (I'm assuming) you will need a model that has a flat base like a Knight MK flat top series or a Marlin lever gun. You will also need a barrel mount front sight post not a ramp sight post. XS usually sells their stuff in a gun/rifle model specific package. I would call them and tell them what you are doing so you can get exactly what you need. They send a front sight that MIGHT be correct for your application. They also send a plastic sight post .600" tall with little grooves molded in every .050" so you can clip off the excess a little at a time to get the proper height for your load velocity and distance between the front and rear sight. When you get the zero of the plastic test front sight height correct you will have to compare it to the front sight height they sent you. If it doesn't match they will exchange it for the correct height as long as it hasn't been installed (hence the plastic test sight post). As far as aperture size they include a .191" and a .230" with the sight. Either size works fine for me on moving game. They also offer a .150" size as an option. I use the .150" size on my Jap made Winchester M94 in 25-35 that I bought in '17. The smaller size works better for paper punching with cast bullets.

Yeah, so sorry I didn't give more info. Its for an octagon GM barrel. 1". Ill read the post above and get back with you. My family is taking Christmas pics right now and I'm on this forum. 😀

I agree with HC, 500 for one in Good shape would be a Fair price in my opinion, Due to the Rarity of them, they will never be made again. The TC Hawken Cougars & Silver Elites are getting harder & harder to come by, They usually have nice Figured Wood, but not always. They were basically designed for the Guy that wanted to Show up in Deer camp and say “Hey, look what i got it” They are NO different Built than a Standard Hawken, Just fancy Stainless hardware. Another option i have thought about, is Having a Regular Hawken’s Furniture Cerakoted Stainless. I already have a “Silver Elite” But have toyed with the idea of Cerakote, Just to see how it would turn out? There is a guy here locally that does Cerakote, i will likely get something done by him someday.

Every now & then you see a REALLY nice Figured Stock Renegade, or Regular Hawken that Catches the Eye, HC has one of the Nicest Old Renegades i have ever seen in his Avatar, Those are the ones a guy “Just has to have” :lewis:
Mountain Man be PIMPIN with his Cougar :eek:

So the cougar and the elite use the same barrel as the original Hawken 50 cal?

Just looking because I found a cougar stock and would love to finish one myself.

Back