TC Cougar Price Check

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I found a Cougar locally and was wondering what a fair price would be? It looks really clean and well maintained in pictures. Thank You!

The barrel on the Cougar is a 1-48 twist like other Hawken barrels. Providing it has a good bore you basically need to ask yourself how much is the stainless lock and hardware worth to compared to regular TC Hawken. I have a Cougar stock and think it looks nice but I basically picked up for the price of a normal stock.

I agree with HC, 500 for one in Good shape would be a Fair price in my opinion, Due to the Rarity of them, they will never be made again. The TC Hawken Cougars & Silver Elites are getting harder & harder to come by, They usually have nice Figured Wood, but not always. They were basically designed for the Guy that wanted to Show up in Deer camp and say “Hey, look what i got it” They are NO different Built than a Standard Hawken, Just fancy Stainless hardware. Another option i have thought about, is Having a Regular Hawken’s Furniture Cerakoted Stainless. I already have a “Silver Elite” But have toyed with the idea of Cerakote, Just to see how it would turn out? There is a guy here locally that does Cerakote, i will likely get something done by him someday.

Every now & then you see a REALLY nice Figured Stock Renegade, or Regular Hawken that Catches the Eye, HC has one of the Nicest Old Renegades i have ever seen in his Avatar, Those are the ones a guy “Just has to have” :lewis:

I agree with HC, 500 for one in Good shape would be a Fair price in my opinion, Due to the Rarity of them, they will never be made again. The TC Hawken Cougars & Silver Elites are getting harder & harder to come by, They usually have nice Figured Wood, but not always. They were basically designed for the Guy that wanted to Show up in Deer camp and say “Hey, look what i got it” They are NO different Built than a Standard Hawken, Just fancy Stainless hardware. Another option i have thought about, is Having a Regular Hawken’s Furniture Cerakoted Stainless. I already have a “Silver Elite” But have toyed with the idea of Cerakote, Just to see how it would turn out? There is a guy here locally that does Cerakote, i will likely get something done by him someday.

Every now & then you see a REALLY nice Figured Stock Renegade, or Regular Hawken that Catches the Eye, HC has one of the Nicest Old Renegades i have ever seen in his Avatar, Those are the ones a guy “Just has to have” :lewis:
Since you mention cerakote, if you’re considering it for corrosion resistance, there are better options in my opinion. I have a few rifles and one 1911 with melonite finish and a couple 1911’s with DLC coating. I really like melonite for corrosion resistance, but it can adversely affect the integrity of the metal. DLC seems to be equally corrosion resistant without effecting the integrity of the metal. Both have similar appearance...kind of like parkerized.

Is your soon to be new Hawken Cougar a .45 or .50 Cal?
It’s a 50.
Funny that you linked that thread, because that’s the very thread that drew me back to the Modern Muzzleloading forum. I was researching “hot rod muzzleloaders”, and that thread popped up. I had to log in to see your pictures and discovered while trying to register that I was already a member.
Would it be sacrilegious to rebarrel the Cougar with a stainless 45 barrel?!?

Not at all.My Cougar has a 45 caliber stainless LRH barrel on it but also have a stainless 50 caliber LRH barrel if I wanted to switch it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_120332705.jpg
    IMG_20170627_120332705.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 33
I’m in possession of the Cougar, and in my opinion, it’s in good shape for the age. There’s a few small patches of surface rust on the barrel, but there doesn’t seem to be any pitting. I swabbed the barrel, and there was surface rust in there too. I have to get some work stuff done now, but I’m going to do further inspection and cleaning this evening. Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase. The seller obviously had no idea what he had, and I didn’t even try to negotiate his price. :lewis:

I’m in possession of the Cougar, and in my opinion, it’s in good shape for the age. There’s a few small patches of surface rust on the barrel, but there doesn’t seem to be any pitting. I swabbed the barrel, and there was surface rust in there too. I have to get some work stuff done now, but I’m going to do further inspection and cleaning this evening. Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase. The seller obviously had no idea what he had, and I didn’t even try to negotiate his price. :lewis:

Awesome deal!! If you don’t already have one, Get yourself a GOOD Solid Range Rod, One you can trust that won’t Break, Something like this. I have used one of these from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, And it’s stil going STRONG. They are very reasonable priced as well. They come WAY to long, so you can Cut them down to whatever you want? I cut mine to 36” inches, As i use it for a Range Rod. This way i can get a GOOD Hold on it, And put POWER to it :lewis:

You will see one of these in all of my Shooting Videos, it goes everywhere i do.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/treso-3...th-10-32-female-threaded-brass-tip-tre1191610
Also get yourself a Good Quality Jag, preferably one with a Steel insert, instead of all Machined of Brass as they Can Break off, These Treso Jags are TOUGH, I have yet to Wear one out, and i shoot/clean a literal TON. Note this is a 10-32 Thread pitch (Typical for Muzzleloaders) 3/8” Diameter to fit the Rod above :lewis:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/50-cali...le-thread-for-3-8-diameter-ramrods-tre1122506
Now, Get yourself some 4 0000 Steel wool, Make SURE its the Fine 4 0000 stuff, That fine Steel wool will NOT hurt anything, ONLY Help Clean your Bore up. Cut yourself some Strips to fit your patches. Also get a Tube of this Montana Extreme Bore Polish, LASO, or JB Bore paste, they are all Similar products, Designed to Clean/polish a Bore, I got a good deal on a Bunch of this Montana Extreme, So this is what i use :lewis:
wpNfjWL.jpg

Add some of the Compound above and do this, 50, 75, 100, Strokes, You decide, Whatever it takes to get rid of the Light Rust, and leave a Nice Clean, polished Bore :lewis:
RkkC1kI.jpg

AGTrs1J.jpg

This is the Results i get from the Above procedure, This was a New Green Mountain Roundball Barrel, even though it was new, it was fairly Rough. It’s not anymore, Smooth/Easy on Patches, And MUCH easier to Clean, WIN WIN Deal
yUOvI8E.jpg

fmx6Wfr.png

Lf30zaa.png

xMpQBxK.png

qGxzsja.jpg

Some results i got from a Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade, Just like they came from the Factory years ago, These 1:48 Twist Rifles are VERY Capable! There are a Few IMPORTANT things you need to Know to get the most out of them, 1 being the Use of PURE Lead

Some Bullet accuracy testing the Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade

It shot SEVERAL Bullets this well, and even better. This was a 5 Shot Group @ 60 Yards

sbCh8jS.jpg

Testing the Bullet for Accuracy at 260 Yards

kK3cXlq.jpg

260 Yard Gong

Awesome deal!! If you don’t already have one, Get yourself a GOOD Solid Range Rod, One you can trust that won’t Break, Something like this. I have used one of these from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, And it’s stil going STRONG. They are very reasonable priced as well. They come WAY to long, so you can Cut them down to whatever you want? I cut mine to 36” inches, As i use it for a Range Rod. This way i can get a GOOD Hold on it, And put POWER to it :lewis:

You will see one of these in all of my Shooting Videos, it goes everywhere i do.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/treso-3...th-10-32-female-threaded-brass-tip-tre1191610
Also get yourself a Good Quality Jag, preferably one with a Steel insert, instead of all Machined of Brass as they Can Break off, These Treso Jags are TOUGH, I have yet to Wear one out, and i shoot/clean a literal TON. Note this is a 10-32 Thread pitch (Typical for Muzzleloaders) 3/8” Diameter to fit the Rod above :lewis:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/50-cali...le-thread-for-3-8-diameter-ramrods-tre1122506
Now, Get yourself some 4 0000 Steel wool, Make SURE its the Fine 4 0000 stuff, That fine Steel wool will NOT hurt anything, ONLY Help Clean your Bore up. Cut yourself some Strips to fit your patches. Also get a Tube of this Montana Extreme Bore Polish, LASO, or JB Bore paste, they are all Similar products, Designed to Clean/polish a Bore, I got a good deal on a Bunch of this Montana Extreme, So this is what i use :lewis:
wpNfjWL.jpg

Add some of the Compound above and do this, 50, 75, 100, Strokes, You decide, Whatever it takes to get rid of the Light Rust, and leave a Nice Clean, polished Bore :lewis:
RkkC1kI.jpg

AGTrs1J.jpg

This is the Results i get from the Above procedure, This was a New Green Mountain Roundball Barrel, even though it was new, it was fairly Rough. It’s not anymore, Smooth/Easy on Patches, And MUCH easier to Clean, WIN WIN Deal
yUOvI8E.jpg

fmx6Wfr.png

Lf30zaa.png

xMpQBxK.png

qGxzsja.jpg
I really appreciate the help!!! Thank You!!! :lewis:

Back