TC Firehawk/Lyman .50 Plains at 100

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A breezy day, but OUTSTANDING results!
This is the first try at 100 yards with the Lymans. My rifle is zeroed at 100 with a 250 gr 45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib and 70 gr of 3f Swiss.
At 50, the zero load is + 2& 1/4 and dead on at 100. Muzzle velocity is 1575 fps.
The Lyman, lubed with SPG, and 70 of 3f Swiss, hit + 1 &1/8 th at 50 and -2 at 100. THRILLED about THAT! I haven't chrono'd this load yet, but was expecting a lot more drop.
ANY time I my WORST group at 100 is 2 &1/4 inches...
The target was shadowed, and I forgot to black my sights for the first group. But I can not complain about these results.
This little Firehawk does everything well. These are the best 100 yard full caliber results I've had to date. With any muzzleloader. I believe improvement is possible with a little more practice. The recoil is definitely attention getting! She's a rather petite rifle, with an excellent stock design.
The Lyman is a tapered design, which is very good, and the top band only needs thumb pressure to get past the crown. Ramming. Just a little help to put it on powder. Almost a bore rider. I use a 1/8th wool Ox Yoke .54/.56 wad over powder. I seat until I feel the wad compress.
Fouling is extremely light, even compared to sabot loads. I believe this big chunk of lead makes the burn very efficient.
I'm going to try not swabbing between shots, to see how accuracy hold up. If it does for at least 3 shots, then this will be an excellent load for critter who can punish you if you did something wrong. A ( relatively) quick followup shot can be useful sometimes...
Calico has proven to be quite a rifle! Never had one so ( load) versatile, breech or muzzleloader.

Attachments

• 20200624_142644.jpg
    20200624_142644.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nice shooting. I had a
SS Thunder hawk 50 with the 1-38 twist. It sure shot the 300 grn Hornady sst sabot combo into tiny groups. I got rid of it years ago because I thought I needed something better! Not!😂

I feel for you! Thunderhawk's a fine rifle. I gave my daughter my 22 inch stainless .50.
The first group was 2 & 1/4.
The next was 1 & 3/4 and the last 4 shots were 2 & 1/8 with 3 of those 4 into 1 &1/16.
This would not have been one of her better days, with sabots, but I will take this from big lead without complaint.
The 1-38 twist has proven, to me, to be ideal in .50 caliber.

Latest posts

Back