TC Impact will not shoot. looking for ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought a 50 cal TC impact new a few years ago and I never could get it to shoot acceptably well. It might keep 5 shots on a 15x18 sight in target at 100 yards bagged with a scope. I have tried various sabots (for both 44 and 45 cal bullets) with several different pistol bullets as well as powerbelts. I even tried wrapping the bullets in tin foil before putting them in the sabots to try larger in-between bullet diameters. For powder I tried 60-110 grains of 2f & 3f black powder, and 2f & 3f T7 (as well as T7 pellets). Rio, Cheddite, Federal, and Winchester 209 primers. I have not tried full diameter conicals or patched round balls yet. Also, I have not and will not be trying BH209 powder as I feel it is too expensive to bother with at $5 per ounce. I have not looked closely at the QLA alignment but am weighing the pros and cons of cutting and re-crowning the barrel.

Suggestions are appreciated as this thing is nothiong more than a range toy until it deceides it want to shoot.

Also, I cleaned it well last time I shot it and I pull the breech plug and store it separately. Well, I just too a look at it and the flash hole is blocked. Tried carb cleaner, boiling water soak, and CLR soak but it's sill bliocked. Anyone know what diameter the hole is? My welding torch tip cleaners all seem to be too large to clear it and I may need to drill it out.

T/C flash channel is 1/8th inch. Once the flash HOLE is .036 or larger its time for a new plug.
ejGIRDN.jpg

Problem could be the breech plug.
Maybe try some conical bullets, like TC Maxi Hunters, 275 grain, or 350 grain Maxi Balls.
Idaho Lewis isn't a fan of that QLA. He's mentioned cutting it off and recrowning the barrel in quite a few posts.

If you're shooting sabotted bullets the QLA isn't going to bother any. Conicals may or may not fly well with the QLA. I'd be suspecting the plug as others have mentioned. Replacement plugs are not that expensive so picking up a couple isn't that big of a deal. Both of my Impacts really liked 120 grains[V] of powder....or more....to get really decent accuracy with 240 to 300 grain XTPs and T7 ff. Clean that plug out well [flame channel] with a drill bit turned by hand or a small pin vise and measure the fire hole. If the fire hole is under .036" go ahead and load that puppy up a bit more and see how it does.

My brother shoots a t/c impact as well.He uses 90 grains of blachorn or t7 and 250 grain hornaday sst.This year he shot a great 8 point buck at 125yds and the deer dropped in his tracks.A week later we went back out but I used the impact with the same load and I nailed an 8 point buck at 65 yds.Dead in his tracks.So I know they shoot really good.He only gave $60.00 for it and now wonuldn't sale it for anything.

Thanks for the info, I've read through a lot of posts here looking for info over the years, just never really posted much.
On the Impact, what's the life of the breechplug?I probably have maybe 3-400 shots through it and cleaned it after every range session. I am looking to pick up a replacement breech plug for it no matter what. Flash channel is definitely clear but the flash hole definitely is not. Gonna see if I still have any drill bits small enough to punch it out.... been a lot of years since I worked in a fab shop. When I first got the rifle I tried my torch tip cleaners in the breech plug and all were too big for the orifice.

At this point I'm looking at shooting sabots. If I go to conicals I'm gonna end up buying a new bullet mold.... I've read Idaho's posts, he has a lot of good info.

Around 0.030" or a larger after 400 shots is my guess having never actually examined an Impact breech plug. Perhaps 0.033". A torch tip cleaner should be able to clean the gunk from the flash hole. Start cleaning the plug with a 0.028" pin should work?

I would start over.
Take the scope off.
Set up at target at 25 yrds and see if you can get a group
If it dose not group, contact a gun smith

I would check
1 scope mounts. I bed mine with jb weld. No worries about them coming off just use a heat gun.
2 scope rings. Put a pencil mark on the scope at the ring junction to make sure no scope slipping.
3 try a different scope that you know is good.
4 sometimes the loads may be off but not a 12-15" group.
I believe something in the optics or mounting is most likely the culprit. JMO
Also try putting a patch of JB bore paste on a shotgun brush and stroking the bore about 40-60 strokes then clean the barrel and try again. You will (never) harm a barrel with the JB bore paste.

D55 - I can double check it, but really doubt that it's the scope, The groups still suck with iron sights and the scope should be known good, proven on other rifles. While I am very familiar with JB as I use it for my service rifle, F-Class, and Long range guns, I have not used it extensively on this barrel up to this point, but that sounds like an avenue to pursue. At this point I think I need to start with a new breech plug.

Cleaning at the range is wet alcohol patch, then brush followed by another wet alcohol patch and a dry patch. If needed, pull the breach plug and brush out any crud ring.

Now you all have me wondering about the bore surface to sabot interaction.... Gotta resist changing too many things at once. LOL

Correct, 1 at a time.

Cleaning at the range is wet alcohol patch, then brush followed by another wet alcohol patch and a dry patch. If needed, pull the breach plug and brush out any crud ring.

Now you all have me wondering about the bore surface to sabot interaction.... Gotta resist changing too many things at once. LOL

Do that breech plug first.

Get some bore paste & swab about 50 strokes. Then clean thoroughly.
My Impact LOVED 100gr (volume) BH209, Barnes TEZ250, & black Harvester Crush Rib sabots.
Use a patch lightly dampened with a 50/50 mix of Hoppes #9 & 91% Isopropyl alcohol between each shot followed by a dry patch
Clean that breech plug every 10 shots

Greg

Greg k is shooting the exact load my boy is and his shoots right at 1in groups at 100 . He has yet failed to recover a Deer shot with this combination

Get some bore paste & swab about 50 strokes. Then clean thoroughly.
My Impact LOVED 100gr (volume) BH209, Barnes TEZ250, & black Harvester Crush Rib sabots.
Use a patch lightly dampened with a 50/50 mix of Hoppes #9 & 91% Isopropyl alcohol between each shot followed by a dry patch
Clean that breech plug every 10 shots

Greg

Waiting on two breech plugs. I am gonna thoroughly clean the barrel, look at the lands and grooves with my bore scope and maybe consider giving it a bit of a lap.

Latest posts

Back