TC pro hunter fx or CVA accura mr ?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kerndog said:
Hawgslayer, how does the accura mr handle ? I have not totally made up my mind yet, no one around here has one in stock that i can handle to see how it fits me. Accuracy and how it handles will bee the deciding factor for me !

Not trying to knock anyone who has an Accura.

I've set up both the Accura and many Encore platform rifles. I HIGHLY recommend that you find someplace, that has both rifles in stock and that you handle and compare them both, side by side. Check each operating feature of both. Feel the difference in the hammers. Feel for which one feels stronger or better built. Look both over for their overall quality. There's a daylight to dark difference between the Accura and the Encore platform rifles and specifically the Pro Hunter. I have a great friend that had me set up his Accura and although it shot great, the overall quality doesn't compare. Not even close.

Then consider what may have to be done with each to shoot BH209, if that's what you intend to shoot. Not all breech plugs are capable of igniting BH209 consistently each and every time. Unless CVA or Western is now offering a new breech plug for the Accura, you'll most likely end up drilling out the flash hole. Or purchasing modified breech plugs from someone making them.

With the Pro Hunter, load it and shoot it. Its that simple.

I'm a Chevy guy, the next is a Ford guy. But there are things to look for in each model. Good luck with your choice.

ENCORE50A said:
kerndog said:
Hawgslayer, how does the accura mr handle ? I have not totally made up my mind yet, no one around here has one in stock that i can handle to see how it fits me. Accuracy and how it handles will bee the deciding factor for me !

Not trying to knock anyone who has an Accura.

I've set up both the Accura and many Encore platform rifles. I HIGHLY recommend that you find someplace, that has both rifles in stock and that you handle and compare them both, side by side. Check each operating feature of both. Feel the difference in the hammers. Feel for which one feels stronger or better built. Look both over for their overall quality. There's a daylight to dark difference between the Accura and the Encore platform rifles and specifically the Pro Hunter. I have a great friend that had me set up his Accura and although it shot great, the overall quality doesn't compare. Not even close.

Then consider what may have to be done with each to shoot BH209, if that's what you intend to shoot. Not all breech plugs are capable of igniting BH209 consistently each and every time. Unless CVA or Western is now offering a new breech plug for the Accura, you'll most likely end up drilling out the flash hole. Or purchasing modified breech plugs from someone making them.

With the Pro Hunter, load it and shoot it. Its that simple.

I'm a Chevy guy, the next is a Ford guy. But there are things to look for in each model. Good luck with your choice.

Well Shoot! I am a Ford guy, but I agree with the statement underlined...

:D
I guess what it all boils down to gents is what you as an individual likes or can afford. Just like the kind of powder you shoot or bullet or primer you use.
I'm still hoping that some one can reply with actual quality or workmenship differences. Please don't tell me about the guns in 95/96. That problem has been long taken care of and I haven't heard of that problem lately.
Doesn't the T/C have bergera barrels or did I get wrong info on that. Aren't those barrels being purchased for center fire rifles also? Those barrels have to be pretty good don't you think?
I feel I just can't bash or bumb wrap something becasue it doesn't fit right or the trigger pull is too soft or crisp or the lenght of pull is to long or the way the stock is made or the color.
I can't speak of the T/C because I never had one in my hands. Until I've shot one and have taken on apart I'll just read the replies.

As soon as the weather breaks some I will be going out to the range and I'll answer the questions on handling an accuracy.

Ray........... :wink:

Ray, I just purchased a N.I.B V1 from Carlos. (I consider myself a T/C man ..own 7). I broke down the V1 and can tell you the frame vs my Encores its not even close I.M.O. I did a little comparison with my Triumph and for me the Triumph wins out. All the parts function great with the Accura. The track record of the Bergara barrels is the reason I wanted to buy CVA(Seeing Carlos target postings). The Accura vs T/C thing will always be here. The bottom line in todays market most guns will shoot great once a load is developed. "It's just a better gun" well maybe to some. Its just nice that we have options and the feds have left our blackpowder guns alone so far.

hawgslayer said:
:D

...........I'm still hoping that some one can reply with actual quality or workmenship differences. Please don't tell me about the guns in 95/96. That problem has been long taken care of and I haven't heard of that problem lately.
Doesn't the T/C have bergera barrels or did I get wrong info on that. Aren't those barrels being purchased for center fire rifles also? Those barrels have to be pretty good don't you think?
I feel I just can't bash or bumb wrap something becasue it doesn't fit right or the trigger pull is too soft or crisp or the lenght of pull is to long or the way the stock is made or the color.
I can't speak of the T/C because I never had one in my hands. Until I've shot one and have taken on apart I'll just read the replies.

As soon as the weather breaks some I will be going out to the range and I'll answer the questions on handling an accuracy.

Ray........... :wink:

I've had both in my hands and set them both up. T/C muzzleloaders, unless something's changed in the last couple weeks, do not use Bergara barrels. However you can purchase Bergara barrels, rather muzzleloader or centerfire.

I've seen and shot a few Bergara barrels and although its claimed that the steel that its made from is better, I have not noticed ANY difference in shooting or accuracy. What I have noticed, is that it takes much longer to clean a NEW Bergara barrel than it does a factory T/C barrel. I've never seen one (NEW) that wasn't full of shavings, dirt and grime.

NEW... Bergara barrels need a good cleaning and are normally very tight loading, which can mean that s shooter's specific choice of bullet may not load without extreme force. We've found shooting here at the range, that after a 100 or more rounds, they start loading easier. When cocking the hammer, it feels like your cocking a piece of plastic and appears to have a longer distance (stroke) to cock it. I didn't measure the force to cock the hammer but, IMO it needs a stronger hammer spring. It.....appears..... that it has a much lighter frame than the Encore platform. Opening the action is pretty easy, yet the barrel falls as though it may fall off the frame. Certainly very barrel heavy, which is amplified by the additional weight of a scope.

The Beraga barrels that I've seen shoot or shot, have had no better accuracy or groups than a factory T/C barrel. Accuras that I've shot or, Bergara barrels that have replaced factory T/C barrels, have proved no more accurate or group tighter than factory T/C barrels. There's a lot of rounds shot here each year and so far, the evidence is pretty clear.

There are few, if any modifications that can be made to the Accura, which may be preferred by the shooter. You basically get what you get out of the box. Any modifications preferred by the shooter are just about non-existent...... An example: The close friend that I set up the Accura for is an excavator and has been all his life. During his working career, he's had multiple fingers broken and more than once. Because of this, he actually prefers a heavy trigger pull, as he can't feel the trigger well. Unfortunately this can't be changed, at least not easily if at all. IF......... the owner shoots all year long, there can be wear on the hinge pin, loosening up the barrel to frame action, resulting in the loss of accuracy or increased group sizes. It can certainly lead to vertical stringing, especially at long range.

With the Pro Hunter, for just about $35 plus shipping, you can change just about anything in that frame that a shooter would prefer or, to improve accuracy and tighten groups.

Now, I'm not saying that the Accura is a piece of junk or belittling it. I've set them up, shot them and they can be very accurate. I had my friend's shooting 3/4" groups at 100yds when he picked it up. However, neither he nor I have shot it at the 200yd mark and checked groups. Nothing wrong with the rifle, he's very happy with it and, every deer he's shot at with it, he's harvested.

Handling them both, side by side, there's a difference.

I am late and hopefully not too late to add my 2mcents before you buy. I have the T/C Pro Hunter FX and am very impressed. I have never been able to get a T/C centerfire but I do believe that the next one that I purchas very well may be. I have shot a couple hundred rounds now from mine. I got it in Dec so I have been shooting it alot. The stock absorbs recoil so well I is more pleasent to shoot than my 12g L.C.Smith. I find that a 85gr charge with a 250gr Shock-wave is a very accurate load at 100yrds. I realy would recomend the T/C. My adault daughter went and got one after shooting mine and so did my sister and her husband. They are a great rifle.

Back