TC White Mountain Carbine Purchase

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a White Mountain Carbine from a guy on my local hunting forum. It's a .50 cal with a 4 digit serial number. He says he is pretty certain it's a 1-20'' twist. Pictures he texted show it to be in fairly good shape. Some dings in the wood stock from hunting, but not too bad. He says it has not been shot a whole lot.
Anyone here have and shoot this particular gun, and if so what do you like to load?
Thx

I have one, it is 50 cal with 1/20 twist. 75 gr of pyrodex P green label, 350 gr. maxi hunter bullet. I killed about 13 deer with it. that load was real good and chronoed 1465 fps I think it was. painted the front and rear sight with white acsents to better see in low light. 75 gr of P pyrodex was perfect, if I went higher the groups would open up. I would always dump the powder in there and bump the stock with my palm so as to get some powder to get into that little dogleg just under the nipple, but probably didnt need to do that, never had a single problem with it.

Always liked the looks of the WM Carbine. Just a cool looking little gun. Might use it to shoot pigs in South Carolina if I ever get a chance to make it to an open invitation I have down there. Figured I would leave the original sights on for I don't plan on shooting much more than 50 yds with it. Maybe see how some 600 lead grainers shoot out of it.

Mine is 1-38 twist and shoots 80 gr of 2f BP with the 350 maxi hunter very well.
It has a TC tang peep and is very accurate, a wonderful light weight easy to carry rifle.
I dropped mine on frozen ground while carrying on my shoulder at the end of the day.
The stock got a small crack from the lock mortise to the tang on the left side.
I managed to open the crack enough to work in some titebond 3 and it has held up fine.
Just an area you should inspect closely, although I don’t think it’s a problem with these rifles
unless the guy was an idiot like me.
I’d buy a 1-20 twist in a heartbeat.

I wouldnt use anything heavier than a 350 gr bullet, just because it's a very small light gun and recoil could be very painful.

Back