the pellet rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I have a springer pellet rifle that I can convert from .177 to .22 with a barrel swap. Its sort of handy at times to use one barrel over the other but generally I leave the .22 barrel on it. It takes care of anything from coons and possums to cats and squirels and rabbits. Toss in an occasional woodchuck.

I'm home alone this weekend so this morning I set the target stand up in the yard along a wood fence and made up an impromptu shooting bench in the garage and went to town. I have a 2X Bushnell Banner scope on it. I stuck a 2" target dot on the backer and went back to shoot, but the adhesive on the back of the dot was junk so I fetched a stapler and pinned it on and went back to shoot. I shot three times and found one ragged hole in the dot a little south of center and maybe a tad left of center. I made the corrections on the scope and far three more pellets thru the gun and again found one ragged hole, this time dead nuts. This was about a 25 yard range. Nedless to say I was happy, so I started taking down the bench I put together. I thought I was hearing some sprinkle, when I know I felt a pretty good blow. Wowser, it was a full blow gale with heavy rain. It blew hard enough to topple the target stand and of course the target facing is looking straight up at the clouds. I took a peek out the garage door and decided I wasn't going to get the target back in without scuba gear so there it laid. I thought maybe this would be one of the little popcorn storms we've had many of since yesterday, but nada. After about a half hour of steady dumping I checked the weather station and found almost an inch and a half of rain fell. I went out to fetch my wonderful groups only to find that between the wind and the rain all I had left was a plywood backer. The paper backer was total mush. I looked all over thru the flower beds and park for that damned bright orange target dot but could not find it. So goes my best ever shooting with the old spring powered rifle. I can't ever recall shooting two groups at 25 yards with it that made two separate ragged holes with three shots in each hole.

Did you get rain over your way Jitterbug? It's just now starting to get to partly cloudy and no drizzle over this way. Sure glad I wasn't at the State Fair last evening.

I originally bought from Wally a Crosman Prowler in .177. My first ever "adult" pellet gun. I was amazed at the power and accuracy so I bought another and $150.00 in pellets so me and my grandchildren should not be without. On the right days I can shoot 10 chipmunks on a route I take. I stop at 10 chipmunks because I don't want to run out of targets for another day.

In the last auction I picked up a Beeman rs2 sportsman in .22. Originally they came with interchangeable .177 and .22 barrels. I cannot find evidence it was ever fired. Got it for $59.00 out the door fees and taxes. Im waiting for pellets from Pyramid Air Cause Wally doesnt seem to have .22 pellets. Then I found pellets cheaper on Amazon. Oh well.

For you fellows that dont have a pellet gun I highly recommend one. I keep one in my truck and it goes with me everywhere. Gives you practice at trigger control and are cheap to shoot.

Did you get rain over your way Jitterbug? It's just now starting to get to partly cloudy and no drizzle over this way. Sure glad I wasn't at the State Fair last evening.

Rained hard and blew, last night.

Nice rain again, this morning… then it got warm and very “sticky.” 😡

Not sure on accumulation, Mrs. Jitterbug is in charge of the rain gauge! 😆

Rained hard and blew, last night.

Nice rain again, this morning… then it got warm and very “sticky.” 😡

Not sure on accumulation, Mrs. Jitterbug is in charge of the rain gauge! 😆
I know you're somewhere near Mankato and Ma wants to come over nearer Christmas to see that large light display there. Are you close enough to meet and do dinner, then lights, when that time comes along?

I bought the Benjamin Prowler.22 several years ago from Walmart. The first one wouldn’t shoot so back it went. The second one was the ticket. I installed a new trigger and a better Mil dot scope and sighted it in in the basement. When my son came to visit we took the rim fires and such to the range. Most time was spent shooting the Prowler. We were both amazed at the accuracy especially at distance. With my son’s help we were hitting clay pigeons at 75 yards. Once pellet guns get in your blood it’s hard to remove. Always loved them always will.

The Beeman Sportsman is what I have snapbang.
By your description I was thinking it was just that gun.

I bought the Benjamin Prowler.22 several years ago from Walmart
I thought about the .22 Prowler so I would have a matched set. But it sounds like I will not be disappointed with the Beeman.

Yep, they are a pile of cheap fun. Half cocked skinned one of my fox squirrel kills. Full penetration with a .177 prowler.

FYI with the prowler.
crosman hollowpoint 7.9 grains 885 FPS
H and N match 10.6 grain 760 FPS

You are heading down another rabbit hole!
A whole world of shooting and hunting to itself. I want to keep it simple but one of those PCP compressed air guns with little or no recoil and tack driver accuracy would be sweet. I especially enjoy hunting squirrels. The gun is quiet enough the animals dont seem to get whats going on. Shoot with a shotgun or .22LR and they hide for a while. Not so with a pellet gun.

I keep an old, cheap, chinese underlever in the house for spiders, wasps etc. I don't use pellets, just get the muzzle within 2"-3" of the pest, and the supersonic blast of air will send its parts flying. Also have a 22 cal Benjamin Maximus that brain shot a feral cat at 49 yards (with solid rest, crossbow scope and range finder).

A Umarex AirSaber is the most unique and deadly "airrow gun" that I own. If you've never watched an arrow streak into a target at 500 fps, it's hard to appreciate how lethal an air launched, razor sharp broadhead can be.

Best of all they are low noise weapons that can be used almost anywhere.

I have had many, from cheap Daisy lever guns, to Benjamin Marauder PCP. I have settled on a Beeman R7. Break action, very easy to shoot, very accurate. Mine happens to be in .20 caliber, rare and hard to find pellets, but soooo worth it.

A whole world of shooting and hunting to itself. I want to keep it simple but one of those PCP compressed air guns with little or no recoil and tack driver accuracy would be sweet. I especially enjoy hunting squirrels. The gun is quiet enough the animals dont seem to get whats going on. Shoot with a shotgun or .22LR and they hide for a while. Not so with a pellet gun.
Snapbang, once you cross over to "the dark side" (PCP airguns, in airgunner speak) you'll never go back. Here's my swedish FX Wildcat mk1 in .25cal, with a custom Neil Clague can. It'll do 1/2" groups at 75yds with JSB King pellets (25.something grains). Those are invasive California ground squirrels which crossed over into southcentral/eastern Washington on the dams and bridges that span the Columbia River.

Attachments

• 20190326_162826.jpg
    20190326_162826.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I keep an old, cheap, chinese underlever in the house for spiders, wasps etc. I don't use pellets, just get the muzzle within 2"-3" of the pest, and the supersonic blast of air will send its parts flying. Also have a 22 cal Benjamin Maximus that brain shot a feral cat at 49 yards (with solid rest, crossbow scope and range finder).

A Umarex AirSaber is the most unique and deadly "airrow gun" that I own. If you've never watched an arrow streak into a target at 500 fps, it's hard to appreciate how lethal an air launched, razor sharp broadhead can be.

Best of all they are low noise weapons that can be used almost anywhere.
Those arrow guns are legal for deer during the rifle season here in Oklahoma.
I might have to look into maybe getting one.

Back