The wind

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Takes a minute to wrap your mind around this . Then add wwind, spin drift, elevation and yes long range earth rotation and your brain explodes :huh?:

bestill said:
Encore,
Rerun for 100 yd zero 300 yd shot 15 mph at 46 degrees
8.8 elevation
6.8 windage
We keep posting back and forth with a different base line this is your original post info. App are same. These numbers are reference only and will get you close will need range to confirm.
I shoot3 shoot group at 50 yd increments to 500 yds then with known chronograph reading i adjust b.c. to get ballistic chart for my individual gun to match actual range work.

Winters last soooooooooooo long here and I hope to get on the club range before Friendship, just to compare. I'm going to need all the help I can get :yeah:

Encore, there is a ballistic table on Vortex scope site. This table allows for true ballistics of the rifle. It is same thing Gunwerks does after building a rifle. They get ballistics then shoot the rifle at another distance after zero. they measure the group drop if any in inches. Then it recalculates your velocity. You can't always go by app tables.

[quote="bestill
These numbers are reference only and will get you close will need range to confirm.
I shoot3 shoot group at 50 yd increments to 500 yds then with known chronograph reading i adjust b.c. to get ballistic chart for my individual gun to match actual range work.[/quote]

Range time will confirm ballistic. If know muzzle velocity and distance to me the questionable factor is bullet b.c. and imo twist rate (stability factor)of gun will definitely effect b.c. at long range

fivebull said:
Encore, there is a ballistic table on Vortex scope site. This table allows for true ballistics of the rifle. It is same thing Gunwerks does after building a rifle. They get ballistics then shoot the rifle at another distance after zero. they measure the group drop if any in inches. Then it recalculates your velocity. You can't always go by app tables.

It appears that Gunwerks basically creates what Leupold calls a CDS turret. However for a starting price near $6,000 they should be shooting and creating. To date, my CDS turret has been spot on for distance..... to the best of my ability anyway. The wind however is a whole new ball game, which the app., which is a ballistic calculator, should help me to learn...... lot of learning.
When shooting up to the club and at 400yds, there was just the slightest of wind. I was lucky on my guess, which was a 1 moa, which gave me a great group on paper. Now that was nothing more than a WAG, yet it worked..... that time. At least with an app. and wind meter, I have a very close start, to which I can make corrections...... I think.

bestill said:
[quote="bestill
These numbers are reference only and will get you close will need range to confirm.
I shoot3 shoot group at 50 yd increments to 500 yds then with known chronograph reading i adjust b.c. to get ballistic chart for my individual gun to match actual range work.

Range time will confirm ballistic. If know muzzle velocity and distance to me the questionable factor is bullet b.c. and imo twist rate (stability factor)of gun will definitely effect b.c. at long range[/quote]

I can't and won't claim it as fact but, buying an Ultimate, scope and matched turret, pretty much has had all the work previously completed for elevation. I'm pretty sure Ken Johnston spent considerable time, along with his shooters, which developed the process as close as possible, given that the charge is pellets and not a weighed charge.

Latest posts

Back