Thompson Black montain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Bull

Reaction score
Can you tell me about this rifle,is the stock made of wood ,what is the lenght of the barrell(is it a Green montain barell?)
Any picture available?.
Thanks
Black Bull

tca_black_mountain.jpg

The Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum was one of Thompson Center's first sidelock rifles that could take magnum charges, and fire pellets. Although they will still suggest a duplex load in the back when they shoot pellets. Most people do the loose powder VS the pellets.

This rifle is able to handle 150 grains of pellet, although you might not get the best accuracy with that strong of a charge because of the many factors that work with muzzleloaders. These rifle also have a interchangeable 12 gauge barrel for turkey hunting as well if you can find one. The separate barrel would fit in the synthetic stock and make a very versatile rifle/shotgun combination.

The rifle has a 26" barrel I believe. It used to come with a 1-48 twist so it could shoot patched roundball, conicals, and even some sabots. They were a great rifle. Why they were taken out of production I have no idea. I guess the trend to move more to inlines and leave side locks behind caused them to be discontinued.

Like all T/C rifles, they have a life time warranty and full customer service. There are some new ones out there for around $285.00 and they show up on auction sites for $225.00. Over all a very quality no frills hard hunting rifle able to take on about anything you might want to do.

The black montain is not a traditional sidelock in my book.Looking for a wood stock and a caplock sidelock

wood stocks were an option on the black mountain magnum. i have seen some in that configuration while searching on the internet. they are harder to come by, though, and it MAY be that the wood stock was only offered on the ones in .54 caliber (not absolutely sure about that, though. i just know that there was a .54 caliber model that came with a wood stock).

it came standard with a musket nipple. basically, it was a new englander with a longer barrel (28" instead of 26". curiously, the synthetic-stocked version of the new englander had a 24" barrel). i believe the BM mag also had stronger hammer springs to keep the hammer from blowing back to half-cock with stronger powder charges (BM mag is rated to 150 g. powder charges, new englander only 100 g. [110 w/ roundball]). the BM mag also had fiber optic sights and was drilled/tapped for a scope mount (new englander was not). i have a T/C greyhawk, which is a stainless steel version of the new englander (24" barrel, 1-48" twist). it's a great rifle.

i am pretty sure that the .50 caliber black mountain magnum had a 1-28" twist barrel (compared to 1-48" for the new englander) and the .54 BM mag had either a 1-38" or 1-48" twist barrel. this is based on some old t/c catalogs i have

yeah, for some reason the wood stock new englander has a 26" inch barrel while the rynite stocked version has only a 24" barrel. i had to prove this to myself . . . wasnt sure if i was crazy or not. here's an example of the 24" rynite stock version:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=54017366

and here's the wood stock 26" version:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=53333471

and here's just a great deal on a rifle if anyone is interested:
:D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=53820596

The New Englander with 26" barrel and wood stock,is an excellent rifle but we cannot send it to Canada.
Just too bad
Black Bull

Back