Thor Hammer Load Dev with Geox FFG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomjoad

Reaction score
Hi MML,

Brand new ML user here. Plenty of CF shooting, hunting and reloading experience but finally jumping into ML for the 21 season. Looking for some load development advice for Thor mono's. Most things I find online for Thor are people loading BH209 or 777. I have an inline but it takes #11 Percussion caps so I'll be staying with traditional powder. Most load development I see online for trad powder people are shooting PRB or heavy conicals. Some more details:
- Gun has a 29" barrel and 24 twist
- only have Geox FFG on hand
- CCI #11 or RWS #11 Mag
- Thor Hammer 247's and 297's
- 2021 CO Mule Deer tag pending draw results: open sights, no sabots, loose powder

Questions:
- What charge would you start with and what increments?
- With Thors and a traditional hammer/percussion cap set-up what pressure signs should I be looking for at the top end?

Any and all advice appreciated!

You can use the same powder charges as traditional sidelock rifles. I'd say to start with about 70 grains of 2f and work up from there. Maybe between 70 and 100 grains you'll find that sweet spot.

You can use the same powder charges as traditional sidelock rifles. I'd say to start with about 70 grains of 2f and work up from there. Maybe between 70 and 100 grains you'll find that sweet spot.
Ok thx! I’m used to monos in the centerfire realm following very different rules from lead. I load both gmx which shows pressure signs early and Hammer hunters that don’t show pressure until way past any loading manual recommendations.

Back