Those with tactical .308s...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Do you seat bullets to max oal for YOUR rifle or basically just match the oal of the Federal GMM? Have any of you CHECKED to see what the max oal of your rifle IS? Any reason to NOT seat bullets just off the lands? Is magazine length the limiting factor?

Chuck I do not reload for my M40A1 and never have. When I bought my rifle I bought 1000 rds of the Fed match of the same lot and notated my data out to 1000 yds with that load. I also shoot Lake City match sometimes for a cheaper alternative when I can get a deal on it.
So I cannot give you the answer your looking for, that is just what I do.

Chuck,

When at CVT we asked Vern the same question..

Answer: NO

A tactical gun should be able to shoot bullets to standard SAAMI specs..

IE: grab a box of Federal GMM and duplicate the OAL of that load. That is what I did and it has worked well for me. I also measured the diameter of the throat of that unfired ammo for my neck sizing die. ( I wonder what the diff is after fired?? )

OAL should be right at 2.8

My oal is a tad long at 2.811

In my stoney point comparator.. 2.224"

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm slowly getting set up to do this and giving it some thought. Another thing that I'm considering is bullet weight. .308 Match bullet weights are pretty much 155gr, 168gr, and 175gr. Any reason to pick one over the other other than rifle accuracy preference? I know Sierra was probably the only game in town for a while but it looks as if Hornady, Lapua, Nosler, and Speer ALL suitable bullets as well.

All good choices. I have shot 168 and 175 SMK's both shoot extemely well.

One thing about Sierra... they have soooo much data published on the 168/175 it is hard to overlook them. BC's and Charts galore.

I have often considered the A-max..

Well Chuck if you are going for pure accuracy for under 800 yds, I would shoot the 168, it is a tack driver especially at 600 yds. A good rifle/shooter combo will actually go under 4 inchs from the belly with that load. No doubt you can shoot that, it is just getting the right gun and a little practice. If you want max performance from a 308 at 100 yds, you might go with the 175, as Doohan reminded me the other day on the phone, the 175 stays super sonic out to 1000 where the 168 does not. Now I need to verify that statement but it is an important one. At 1000 yds the 168 is tough to shoot well. It can be done and I have had some real good days at 1000 with it, but I have also had days were I was scratching my bean as it just seemed to be floating all over, and I was off call, regardless of wind.
Matter of fact I see no advantage to the civilain shooter to go with the 308 as a tactical rifle for 1000 yd shooting. The need for mult shots, recoil tolerance, ammo interchangibility are just not there. If you can shoot a 308 at 1000 well, you can shoot anything there ( in context of course). But the magnums really do outshine the 308 at long distance, with a much better angle of attack, reduced flight time, and less wind drift. They of course have more recoil ( how much depends on weight of gun, etc, but todays tactical rifles run heavy and a good brake makes them pleasant) and barrel life is shorter ( bunch of hoeey abounds here, I will tell you that you can real world expect 2000 rds or better from a 300 win mag and 5000 rds or better from a 308, set back the chamber and get another 1000 rds from both on avg, most " experts" claim less, but that is hooey)
and the ammo cost more. But it is a tactical, not a assault rifle, and if you are gonna spend big bucks on a rifle scope combo worth the time to train behind, ammo cost is the last thing I would consider.
If I bought another tactical rifle, it would be a real heavy dude about 15lbs, in 300 RUM or something similar, with a nasty loud brake, and a big ole nightforce scope. It would be 1500 yd capable at the least.
A size up and I would go with a 50 BMG or probably one of the newer wildcats with ridiculous BC's of better the 1.0 ( not a typo there boyz,they make'em).
For a huntin rig, maybe something about 13 lbs in 7 RUM or similar would be an awesome choice.
Okay, If I win the powerball I will get one of each! You talked me into it! :D

Chuck already has a 300 WM in a 700 Sendero.. I think it is good to go as is.

I would certainly bring that along to CVT loaded up with some 175 SMK's.

Vern has 2200yds at hand enough to challenge anyone.

Well that Sendero is a good start and should handle 1000 easy, but I have no idea if it really has the weight or accuracy needed for real long range precision work. But then again I have seen some factory stock Rem 700's in what they call a hvy barrel shoot mighty good.

I dont think it does as is either R-man. As a hunting rifle in hunting trim, I would like the experience of shooting at extended ranges to confirm my rifle at longer ranges.

Well guys..looks like I'm going to concentrate on the 167-168gr bullets. Here's what I either HAVE or have coming:

AA-4064
VV N-150
AA 2460

CCI-200 primers

Lapua .308 Win brass

168gr Nosler Custom Competition
168gr Hornady A-Max
167gr Lapua Scenar

Redding .308 Win Type S match bushing neck die set
Appropriate size Ti neck bushings

Probably a IOR 3-18X42 scope

VENISONEATR said:
I find it hard to believe you do NOT have any Varget or RL-15?????????

I don't. I guess that's because I have just about everything BUT those two around that burn rate. :shock:

100_0222.JPG

I would LIKE to try those that are suitable that I have at least 3lbs of. That includes VV N-150, AA-4064, AA-2460, and Ramshot Big Game. I have ALMOST 3lbs of W748, IMR-3031, IMR-4895, and IMR-4064. I have less than 2lbs of the olthers in the photo...which seems kind of senseless to start out with.

You don't think AA-4064, N-150, or AA-2460 will work? I have a PILE of AA-4064 and AA-2460.

A 168 gr Sierra Match, with IMR3031 has been the "go to" load for match shooters for years, might be a good place to start out.

Chuck,

Yer all ate up with this stuff!!!! :wink:

Welcome to the club! 8) 8) :lol:

3031 might be the ticket.

.... where did you catch that fish r-man.. ?

I tried 4064 and it wouldn't group at all for me. I went to RL-15 and stopped when I got MV of 2650 with the 175 SMK's.

Back