Time to eat crow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
casper said:
I still don't see why it has anything to do with the powder used. I'm not arguing with you, I really don't get that part. :huh?:

It has been suggested that the nitro in BH is what may causing the problem, as far as the propellant goes. Take for example my Ultimate, when I took my rifle back to Ken, he told me that replacing a breech plug is something that is exceptionally rare for him. One shooter had over 10,000 rounds through the same plug and never cut it, ONLY shooting pellets. Just lately though, he had to replace three breech plugs in three different rifles. ALL three rifles had been being shot with BH209. Then I took mine in having done the same.
RW claims that Remington made their plugs from 416 SS and they probably did but, 416 SS will gas cut also, as confirmed by many custom builders using that steel. IMO once owners start to over prime their brass and shoot BH, we'll be hearing more about Remington breech plug replacement.

Sorry for a dumb question: Can the new Remington/Ultimate hander smokeless power (designed to shoot smokeless)?
Another question: Was the Ultimate designed before BH209 powder was on the market?
Just thinking the percussion LR match rifle game saw excess gas cutting in a lot of nipples just after Swiss 3F powder came out in about 2000-2001. Took 100-300 shots to see the cutting. Swiss was definitely hotter (faster MV) than anything we'd ever shot. So, it didn't take long for everyone to switch to Swiss 2F or reduce the Swiss 3F charge.
Same thing might be occurring with BH209.
If so, it might be a double-edge-sword as BH needs a larger flash hole in the breech to get the BH to ignite ; yet a larger hole allows more hot gases to cut the hole larger.

52Bore said:
Sorry for a dumb question: Can the new Remington/Ultimate hander smokeless power (designed to shoot smokeless)?
Another question: Was the Ultimate designed before BH209 powder was on the market?
Just thinking the percussion LR match rifle game saw excess gas cutting in a lot of nipples just after Swiss 3F powder came out in about 2000-2001. Took 100-300 shots to see the cutting. Swiss was definitely hotter (faster MV) than anything we'd ever shot. So, it didn't take long for everyone to switch to Swiss 2F or reduce the Swiss 3F charge.
Same thing might be occurring with BH209.
If so, it might be a double-edge-sword as BH needs a larger flash hole in the breech to get the BH to ignite ; yet a larger hole allows more hot gases to cut the hole larger.

Nope on the smokeless. Remington has it on their barrels and Ken has it on his, no smokeless propellants. Now that doesn't mean someone hasn't tried it on their own, but neither Remington or Ultimate Firearms Inc. are smokeless rifles.
The Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifle was definitely designed before BH. I'm not certain how long Remington worked with UF on the rifle and rather it started before or after BH hit the market.

Now that breech plug.......... After going through my ordeal, then having ample time to think about it, it may have been related to the brass in MY case. On the other hand, your double-edge-sword theory may also be correct. I was shooting the rifle so much, I was priming brass to many times and I realize that now. I'd only had the rifle a short time and already put over 300 rounds down range and about all of that, was with a single box of 50 brass cases. I believe that was solely my fault. I now have all the brass that I'll need for awhile....

Back